The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 08:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
How can I answer a question when I do not know the answer?

I am used to seeing the floor officials arrive on the court after the teams have started to warmup (18:00-16:00 left in warm-up)

Not saying that is correct or incorrect however.
Well you seem to have answers for other things you do not know about, so why is this any different?

That being said it is not typical for schools to put more than 15:00 on the clock in my experience. The goal is to get out on the floor before the teams enter. Not always easy to do, but that is the attempt.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well you seem to have answers for other things you do not know about, so why is this any different?

That being said it is not typical for schools to put more than 15:00 on the clock in my experience. The goal is to get out on the floor before the teams enter. Not always easy to do, but that is the attempt.

Peace
standard procedure here (except for tournaments with approval from court director/tournament director) is 20 minute warm-up (from what I have witnessed). But then other schools in the area might run things differently.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did it last year to both teams in the same game. Fun times man, fun times.

Peace
How did that work? Was one before the first half and one before the second?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
How did that work? Was one before the first half and one before the second?
Both happened before the game started. We tried to stop it, but the second team decided to go around the court.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both happened before the game started. We tried to stop it, but the second team decided to go around the court.

Peace
I'm still confused. It's only a T to run under the basket when the other team is out there. So, the first team out can run around the entire court. The second team has to go the shortest route to, and remain in, their half of the court.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Not so in WA

The interpretation in WA is that each team must stay on their side of the floor during warm up whether or not the other team is present. So, you could have two Ts to start the game.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Their half of court

is the only restriction, right? Had a middle school ref tell me last night the team not only had to warm up on their HALF of court, but could not gather/huddle/chant in center jump circle, even if they stayed on their side. I told him I did not think he was correct. Was I wrong?
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Teams never leave the court during warmups in your area?
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
is the only restriction, right? Had a middle school ref tell me last night the team not only had to warm up on their HALF of court, but could not gather/huddle/chant in center jump circle, even if they stayed on their side. I told him I did not think he was correct. Was I wrong?
Yes that is the NF interpretation. Now your state might have other guidelines as to if and when that is true. But those were on PowerPoint slides from the NF directly.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm still confused. It's only a T to run under the basket when the other team is out there. So, the first team out can run around the entire court. The second team has to go the shortest route to, and remain in, their half of the court.
They both came out of the same tunnel and the first team ran around the entire court, the home team who was the second split the court and ran around the court as well. They cannot do this at all not matter who is out there. And if the team vacates the area before the game, the team cannot play on the other side of the court with the same penalty.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
The interpretation in WA is that each team must stay on their side of the floor during warm up whether or not the other team is present. So, you could have two Ts to start the game.
I e-mailed WIAA and asked what their stance was concerning this. Here's the response:

Quote:
It is something that we have been monitoring for the past several years at the state tournaments where the floor managers inform the officials of the violation. The same would be true for any regular season game.
So basically before the officials take the floor, it's up to game management to make sure that does not happen. If a team does take the full lap to start their warm-ups it's game management's responsibility to notify the floor officials.