The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re-entering Pitcher

Help settle an "in-group" disagreement !

Two of us say that a pitcher (starter) has re-entry after being substituted for while on offense, and can pitch again.

Two of us say that a pitcher (starter) has re-entry after being substituted for while on offense, BUT cannot pitch again.

Baseball, FED rules.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskysblue View Post

Two of us say that a pitcher (starter) has re-entry after being substituted for while on offense, and can pitch again.

Two of us say that a pitcher (starter) has re-entry after being substituted for while on offense, BUT cannot pitch again.

Baseball, FED rules.

Thanks,

Lloyd
He can pitch, definitely, or play anywhere....reentry rule applies to ALL starters....
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 12:10am

Quote:

Baseball, FED rules.

Thanks,

Lloyd
The first statement is true.

The second statement is false.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
He can pitch, definitely, or play anywhere....reentry rule applies to ALL starters....

It seems to me that I recall an old FED situation that stated if the pitcher was substituted out because of an injury and the sub took more than eight warm-ups, the pitcher could re-enter, but could not pitch again.

Anyone?

Last edited by MrUmpire; Wed Mar 18, 2009 at 12:14pm.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It seems to me that I recall an old FED situation that stated if the pitcher was substituted out because of an injury and the sub took more than eight warm-ups, the pitcher could re-enter, but could not pitch agin.

Anyone?
That is true. More than 8 warmups for the sub and the pitcher is done (pitching) for the game.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
It seems to me that I recall an old FED situation that stated if the pitcher was substituted out because of an injury and the sub took more than eight warm-ups, the pitcher could re-enter, but could not pitch agin.

Anyone?
I think 3-1-2 lists the reason a pitcher may not return to pitch (from memory: he didn't face one batter or retire the side; excess conferences, reliever requires more than 8 warm-up pitches, player not eligible to reenter)
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Baseball, FED rules.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Yes, this concept is very confusing amongst FED rules because there is not a casebook play or a rule that explains this concept very well. This definitely needs a play in the casebook IMO, but they would rather clarify that you can't wear bandannas .

The only way a pitcher is not allowed to pitch is if his replacement takes more than 8 warm up throws or they violated the charged conference rule. Other than that, the re-entry is ok to come back and pitch.

Ask your friends to show you the rule where it says you can't come back and pitch after being substituted for.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

FED 3-1-1 Penalty:
PENALTY:
If the starting pitcher does not face one batter, he may play another position, but not return to pitch.

FED 3-1-2
................ A player may be removed as pitcher and returned as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return as pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule. If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated, is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to the game as a pitcher.

FED 3-2-3
ART. 3 ...
Any of the starting players may be withdrawn and re-entered once, including a player who was the designated hitter, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever he is in the lineup. The pitcher is governed by the provisions of Article 2 above. A substitute who is withdrawn may not re-enter. A starting pitcher who is replaced in the top of the first inning while his team is at bat shall be governed by the provisions of Articles 1 and 2 above.

2008 FED Casebook (Sorry, didn't get a new one yet)

3.1.2 SITUATION A:
F1 is replaced by S1. The catcher or coach of the defensive team indicates to the umpire-in-chief that his team wishes to grant an intentional base on balls. Following the intentional base on balls, S1 is replaced by S2.
RULING: That is legal, since S1 has faced the necessary one batter.

3.1.2 SITUATION B: While taking his warm-up pitches prior to the start of the fourth inning, F1 develops a blister on the tip of his index finger and is replaced as pitcher. F1's replacement takes (a) the remaining number of warm-up pitches
due starter F1, or (b) more warm-up pitches than starter F1 was entitled.
RULING: In (a), F1 could re-enter as pitcher. In (b), because F1's replacement took more warm-up throws than F1 had remaining, F1 could not re-enter as pitcher.

3.1.2 SITUATION C: In the top half of the first, S1 pinch hits for F1. In the bottom half of the first inning, F1 (a) re-enters to face the first batter or (b) does not re-enter until later.
RULING: A substitute may replace F1 while his team is at bat without penalty. Since F1 is a starter, he shall re-enter and pitch to the first batter in the bottom of the first inning. In (a) F1 has complied with the rule. In (b), since F1 did not pitch to the first batter, F1 may not return to pitch. He may, however, play another position. (3-1-1, 3-1-3)

I hope that the above will help this discussion. It's all I have time for at work today.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Get back to work, the boss is looking!
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re-entering pitcher

Now I'm really confused. In a game last Saturday (high school) the opposing team attempted to put pitcher #2 back on the mound. He had been moved from the mound to second base. The attempt to re-enter was 2 innings after the removal. We protested the move and the ump upheld our concern. I'm convinced we were right, but the other coach is just as convinced he was. Is there a rule or case history I can point to for either case. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I sure would like to know the facts!
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Sohl View Post
Now I'm really confused. In a game last Saturday (high school) the opposing team attempted to put pitcher #2 back on the mound. He had been moved from the mound to second base. The attempt to re-enter was 2 innings after the removal. We protested the move and the ump upheld our concern. I'm convinced we were right, but the other coach is just as convinced he was. Is there a rule or case history I can point to for either case. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I sure would like to know the facts!
Pitcher #2 went to play second (when pitcher #3 entered)? And then two innings later pitcher #2 returned to the mound?

This is legal unless pitcher #2 was removed because of excess conferences (i.e., the team had already used its 3 "free" conferences), or pitcher #3 required more than 8 warm-ups.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ozzy and others detailed what rules and exceptions apply.

Sounds like he can go back to the mound and pitch and you and the umpire are wrong.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I sure would like to know the facts!

Would you like a nice Chardonnay with that?
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Fact - any pitcher can return to the mound (except for the situations mentioned above)

Fact - a pitcher can only return to pitch once per inning

Fact - white wine is preferred with fowl

"These are the facts of the case and they are undisputed."
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:16pm

Quote:
I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I sure would like to know the facts!
Bon appetit!

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25