The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would agree if you wash the pants every single time you wear them. But if you are only doing it once or twice a season based on how many pants you own, then it can be a decent investment. And depending on where you get them done, it is really not that big of an investment.

Peace
Once or twice a SEASON?? You'd must have more pants than Sansabelt or smell like a basket of dirty clothes.

I sweat. Most people sweat....even those that don't think they do really do.

My pants get washed after every date of games. They'd stink if they didn't get washed. That means 30-40 washing per season. In the wash, that'd cost about $1-2 for all of them (they're washed with other items) vs $60 for dry cleaning the same number of times. These pants can easily handle 40 washings. You could buy a new pair of pants each year for those savings....and not have to drive to the cleaners.

Even if you only washed them every few games, the economies are the same, just stretched out over time. It is cheaper to wash them and buy new ones when they wear out.

These things are permanent press...as long as you take them out of the dryer when it buzzes, they'll look like they were pressed.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Once or twice a SEASON?? You'd must have more pants than Sansabelt or smell like a basket of dirty clothes.

I sweat. Most people sweat....even those that don't think they do really do.

My pants get washed after every date of games. They'd stink if they didn't get washed. That means 30-40 washing per season. In the wash, that'd cost about $1-2 for all of them (they're washed with other items) vs $60 for dry cleaning the same number of times. These pants can easily handle 40 washings. You could buy a new pair of pants each year for those savings....and not have to drive to the cleaners.

Even if you only washed them every few games, the economies are the same, just stretched out over time. It is cheaper to wash them and buy new ones when they wear out.

These things are permanent press...as long as you take them out of the dryer when it buzzes, they'll look like they were pressed.
I wear my pants once then they get washed. Always.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Sansabelt. I get mine from REFEREE PANT Hemming is free and if you need to bring them in or out it is only an extra $5.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Once or twice a SEASON?? You'd must have more pants than Sansabelt.

I sweat. Most people sweat....even those that don't think they do really do. My pants get washed after every date of games. They'd stink if they didn't get washed. That means 30-40 washing per season. In the wash, that'd cost about $1-2 for all of them (they're washed with other items) vs $60 for dry cleaning the same number of times. These pants can easily handle 40 washings. You could buy a new pair of pants each year for those savings....and not have to drive to the cleaners.

Actually I have about 8 pair of pants that are in rotation that and more I have retired to either change in style or they were worn out. I also wear ankle length Under Armor and almost knee length shocks. And I am not a person that sweats profusely like others I know as well. I am usually dry as a bone after my games and there is no need to wash pants every time I work. And I would not wash something like that with that heavy of fabric often anyway. Sansabelt pants are heavier than most suit pants I wear and I certainly do not dry clean those every single time I wear them. This also does not mean I only dry clean these pants. I have washed them too and worked out well. Unless I have what I consider a heavy week of basketball like is typical during Thanksgiving where normally I will work every day and twice on the Saturday after Thanksgiving (but not this year), I can wear two pair of pants and be fine. Most weeks I only work about 3 games in a week typically and I can wear one pair that entire week. There is only about 3 months in a season and I can survive without having to really wash/dry clean pants (I usually do them all in the same time) is once during X-mas time before the X-mas tournaments and sometime before post season that start in late February and early March. By that time of year we are only talking about a handful of games and there is little need to use more than one or two pair for that time. I might wash a pair if I have clearly dirty pair of pants during this period, but it is not the entire collection of course.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 05:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Sansabelt. I get mine from REFEREE PANT Hemming is free and if you need to bring them in or out it is only an extra $5.
I can get about 3 or 4 pair of pants done around the corner of my house at a uniform shop for about $10 and they can tailor them to my specifications live. Did I mention that I can do this all in 30 minutes when I go to that store?

Peace
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

Thank to everyone for your advice/insight.

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Davis pant, from Gerry Davis. I had eye-balled their site a few times while researching Ref-pants. They had a combo deal offering free Cliff Keen Basketball shirt w/ the Davis pants. ($66.50).

I also added another combo which includes pair of socks, new Fox40 classic (pealess, and assuming w/out the rubber bite), and Smitty lanyard (noose). (All three for $14.95.)

Ships via USPS Priority Mail for $17.95. Only other expense will be to get them hemmed, or might have a girlfriend give it a try.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Will let you know how it works out.

Until then... KEEP YOUR STRIPES VERTICAL!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:22am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I bought a pair from Gerry Davis (at Gerry Davis Sports: Davis Basketball Pants). They are way cool. It's a "hard" waistband that is adjustable. Best fit I've ever gotten, and they look sharp. The inseam is longer than usual, meaning you aren't wearing MC Hammer pants on the court anymore. I love them, plus they are a bit lighter, and breathe better.
I personally think the belt buckle thing on the GD pants looks like garbage.

Personally, I wear Sansabelt.

Your mileage may vary.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I personally think the belt buckle thing on the GD pants looks like garbage.
I'm torn -- they fit better than any pant I've ever bought (and the legs aren't like bell bottoms), but I agree with you on the clips. I'm pretty certain that only officials would ever notice such things, though.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2016, 03:46pm
(Something hilarious)

Resurrecting this thread

I've always worn Honig's old-ish B51AP (heavier material, "athletic cut" pleated), but they only sell their new, lighter pants now (I just asked). I want a wide, strong inside-waistband, and a heavier polyester blend. (I like the fall of the pants when the fabric is heavier compared to their lighter, "more breathable," "4-way-flex" super-thin polyester fabric model, and I like the increased heat for my leg muscles after I get warmed up.)

Taking suggestions based on the heavy polyester, thicker material requirement. Appreciate the help, group.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You also did not include the tailoring costs which depending on where you live might be really jacked up per pant or even the taxes or shipping costs. Not that it is a big deal, but that might take it over a JUCO check which I was paid to work a game which was $110 a few weeks ago.

That being said I would hope a pair of pants last longer than 2 seasons at the very least. I have pants I have had for much longer.

Peace
I have some Sansabelt pants that I've had for 7 or 8 years. I ref 4 or 5 nights per week.

The key is to wash them in cold water and air dry them. They hold up very well.

I bought a pair of Smitty this year and LOVE them. Lighter more breathable material and a little wider leg. Don't know how they hold up as I haven't had them a full season yet. Assuming they hold up, I will be buying more Smitty pants.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I wear my pants once then they get washed. Always.
I'm with you. I ref 4 or 5 nights per week. I have old pants that look like I just got them.

Cold water and air dry is the key.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
I've always worn Honig's old-ish B51AP (heavier material, "athletic cut" pleated), but they only sell their new, lighter pants now (I just asked). I want a wide, strong inside-waistband, and a heavier polyester blend. (I like the fall of the pants when the fabric is heavier compared to their lighter, "more breathable," "4-way-flex" super-thin polyester fabric model, and I like the increased heat for my leg muscles after I get warmed up.)

Taking suggestions based on the heavy polyester, thicker material requirement. Appreciate the help, group.
Here is my recommendation -----

REFEREE PANT
Old Sat Sep 17, 2016, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The key is to wash them in cold water and air dry them.
You can wash them on warm. Pants don't wear in the washer -- they wear from the high heat in the dryer.

With Sansabelts, at least, the ones I have, you do need to dry for about 10 minutes then take them out and hang dry them. The newer ones may not need this. These are the only officiating clothing I have that gets any heat in the dryer. Most things I just hang, but some socks, tights, etc. get air dried. NEVER put a ref shirt or football pants in the dryer.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2016, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
With Sansabelts, at least, the ones I have, you do need to dry for about 10 minutes then take them out and hang dry them. The newer ones may not need this. These are the only officiating clothing I have that gets any heat in the dryer. Most things I just hang, but some socks, tights, etc. get air dried. NEVER put a ref shirt or football pants in the dryer.
Always wash on perm press cycle and dry on same. Have had OC (worst pants ever), Honigs (very good), and CK but Sansabelts hold up the best. I don't buy pants every year. I probably get 5 years or more out of a pair. Typically go to smaller waist size towards end of season vs. what I start the year with.