The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Called games tonight with a partner I have worked with a few times, but this was our first time to ride together. On the way home, we were approaching a couple of fast food places, and he asked if I had a preference. I said he was driving, either one was fine. He said that either one would "take care of us."
To make a long story short, apparently it is a common practice for various eating establishments to provide free food for sports officials, including the Burger King on my way home, where I have stopped probably a hundred times returning from games.

Is this a southern thing, or is it everywhere? For the record, this is not a practice with which I am comfortable.
If it is a "southern thing" then Virginia was skipped over. But if a restaurant is offering me free food then I'm taking it.

Now hospitality rooms? Well, depends on who your boss is. I have one supervisor who has made it perfectly clear that we do not utilize any hospitality rooms when working his games.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm wondering how the people in the drive thru would know you're sports officials. My bag's in the trunk and I'm business casual.

Did he tell the people he was an official?
Perhaps in that area of the country officials change in the parking lots of the local fast food restaurants.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:09am
Archaic Power Monger

I have never heard of that one before. Since I'm trying not to eat that food, I'm not going to start driving around to Chick-Fil-As in my stripes asking for free sandwiches.

This raises an important question, do Footlocker employees get the same free meals?
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Perhaps in that area of the country officials change in the parking lots of the local fast food restaurants.
Well played.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Along these lines, more than once I've had my bag/suitcase in front seat and when stopped by police for speeding I quickly unzip bag to show stripes.......pass everytime!
When asked by officers what I do for a living, which seems to be a standard question, right after "Do you know how fast you were going?", I always include that "I am also a basketball official, kind of the same as you except I don't get to carry a gun". Usually followed by a grin, chuckle, and "slow down and have a nice day".
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 11:12am
wife loves the goatee...

Several schools in Central Va toss some really good food our way............
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know about you, but I paid for my food.

Peace
Ha!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 01:48pm
Back from the DL

Nothing like that in this corner. Still, if management wants to give you the food, I see no conflict of interest.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Along these lines, more than once I've had my bag/suitcase in front seat and when stopped by police for speeding I quickly unzip bag to show stripes.......pass everytime!
I was once pulled over in a small town because I was the referee.

Night game. Home team lost, showered, left. Not more than a few hundred yards out of the school, I get pulled over. Apparently I was speeding.

Cop makes the mistake about mentioning that I was a referee. I asked if he was just at the game....he said he wan't. Suspicious, I asked him how he knew I was a referee. He claimed to have recognized me from his kids games....I hadn't been to that town in about 2 years. Hmmmm.

He let me go. Later, I told my partner about it.....he got pulled over too.

We asked around and found that several referees were pulled over just after leaving that same school...none ever with tickets, just warnings (probably so it wouldn't ever show up in any official record).

While nothing was ever proven, the assumption was that the coach, the AD, or someone connected with the school was having a buddy copy harass officials after games where the home team lost or was tough. Our commissioner called the AD on the issue and said it needed to stop....and it did. Hmmm.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

We get free produce. But it gets thrown at us, not served to us.

Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 03:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I was once pulled over in a small town because I was the referee.

Night game. Home team lost, showered, left. Not more than a few hundred yards out of the school, I get pulled over. Apparently I was speeding.

Cop makes the mistake about mentioning that I was a referee. I asked if he was just at the game....he said he wan't. Suspicious, I asked him how he knew I was a referee. He claimed to have recognized me from his kids games....I hadn't been to that town in about 2 years. Hmmmm.

He let me go. Later, I told my partner about it.....he got pulled over too.

We asked around and found that several referees were pulled over just after leaving that same school...none ever with tickets, just warnings (probably so it wouldn't ever show up in any official record).

While nothing was ever proven, the assumption was that the coach, the AD, or someone connected with the school was having a buddy copy harass officials after games where the home team lost or was tough. Our commissioner called the AD on the issue and said it needed to stop....and it did. Hmmm.
I would love to see this hit the papers!
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 07:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Memories.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I had friends that worked at fast food joints as teenagers. They all had the same policy: when a bus pulled in, try to see how many people are on it, and put on a whole whack of burgers right away.

One night, a bus came pulled in to the local Wendy's parking lot. My buddy put on 15 burgers. The driver comes in wanting directions. My friend called the 4 or 5 of us, and we all ate for free. In that case, it was bad for business and good for us! lol
Juggler - you're killing me!

Same situation. Bus pulls in about 20 minutes prior to closing. About 30 "seniors" (to us teenagers anyhow) get off and start walking toward the doors. Burgers go on, fries go down......we're ready for action!

"May I help you?"

"Yes, I'd like an apple pie and coffee please......" x about 25!

We too ate well that night at closing!

Classic!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Flash Your Badge ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm wondering how the people in the drive thru would know you're sports officials. My bag's in the trunk and I'm business casual.

Of course, if you were a Mythbuster, you could just show them your Mythbuster Secret Decoder Ring.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 01, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

There are quite a few middle schools in my area that will feed officials during tournaments. There are a couple of guys I know that definitely take advantage of this. I kid them that they are the reason schools only give us a tix for sandwich and drink know instead of whatever we want.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 05:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

This happened to us for the first time I can think of. We happened to go to McDs (which I do not like to go to) in the town we had the game and we got our meal for free. I was a little shocked. Then again we were not dressed in uniform, but the visiting team was there and that is how they knew I guess.

Peace