The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Level of contact?

This came up during a discussion the other night. I'm sure we all know that under FED rules, a foul for contact during a dead ball is a technical. Do you call the foul when the "level of contact" is the same as when you would call a personal foul during a live ball, or do you require a higher "level of contact" to call the technical during a dead ball?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 06:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless it's enough to warrant an intentional or flagrant during a live ball, I ignore it as the rule states.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

This should be a lay-up for you. You only call a technical foul if the dead ball contact is intentional or flagrant.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
This should be a lay-up for you. You only call a technical foul if the dead ball contact is intentional or flagrant.
I took Mark's post just as a topic for discussion. I think Mark knows his answer. But perhaps noobies can benefit from the topic?
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 07:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I took Mark's post just as a topic for discussion. I think Mark knows his answer. But perhaps noobies can benefit from the topic?
Was I that obvious?
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This came up during a discussion the other night. I'm sure we all know that under FED rules, a foul for contact during a dead ball is a technical. Do you call the foul when the "level of contact" is the same as when you would call a personal foul during a live ball, or do you require a higher "level of contact" to call the technical during a dead ball?
Mark,
Thanks for always drumming up these interesting plays and questions. It never hurts to keep thinking of the right way to handle these situations. I've had some odd situations come up in the last couple of years and thanks to this forum and the fine people that add comments about different topics I've handled them correctly. (well at least most odd ones) While these unusual situations are happening, it almost seems like I'm in a dream because I can remember reading the correct answer to these rare happenings: thrower in gets fouled, double free throw violation, wrong player shoots free throw etc.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:51am
Back from the DL

For what it's worth:

I had a middle school tournament a few years ago. Team A is coming out of a time-out with a backcourt endline throw-in. Team B is pressing.

Before I administer the ball the A-1, I see B-2 four feet from the line, holding onto A-2's arm with both hands. It's neither intentional nor flagrant, but certainly notable. I speak to B-2, and he lets go.

I bounce the ball to A-1 (live ball), and B-2 puts the clamps on again. Tweet.