The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

OK fellow fox-fourtyites, here is one to ponder... what is your level of tolerance or pet pieve? by that I mean at what point do you say enough is enough and take a stronger action.

Is it a gesture by a coach?

A player on his/her third go round of knucklehead ball?

A score keeper who forgot what the word neutral means?

And once you have rached your level what a stronger action would you take? reasoning, T, ejection, removal, other?

I have several but the one the that sends me straight to the tilt button is the blow off by a coach after an attempt to answer a resonable question has been made. To me that is a blantant display of disrespect.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
Level of tolerance -- the biggest discriptor that I can use is -- it depends. Time of game is huge. What will I take at the end of a game is a whole lot different than in the first 2 quarters. Some things I have no tollerance for, such as language that can be heard by more than just the player. Or disrespect of an official after a call. Yes I will take a lot more if the call was controversial.

Level of play also has a big part to do with it. I don't often ref girls, or lower levels of High School, but when I do my tolerance is less for a younger coach. They just seem to be more finatical and less knowing of the rules. That doesn't mean a T but it sure does mean a good talking to or a nice hand with "that's enough, back down coach." Now that I think of it the only T that I have given in the last two years came from a 9th grade game with a coach who was verbally abusing his players. When the opportunity came I jumped at the chance to help his players out. From that point on they played much better.

Game management is often the difference between lower level officials and making the transition to JC and Div 1. Most officials know the rules, I do say most. Most can move the floor and know the right spot to be in, may I repeat the word most. But few can respectfully handle situations of an erratic coach, problems with the table, or a hostle crowd and not let it get to him/her.

If I call a "T" I always mention in the pregame that I want my partner to administer the shots. Because I would rather explain, if necessary, why there was a "T" than have my partner have to guess or delay the game to find out why.

It all comes with experience. Learn some quick things to say that mean a lot in a short amount of time. I don't mean to belittle. But honest clips of what you saw or heard seems to work great for me. But always try to have a sense of humor, see it from the players side as well, put yourself in the coaches shoes, Maybe he really doesn't have a clue and he is faking it to make it.

Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quickest way to get a T when I'm working is.... "Jesus Christ!" Doesn't matter who it's spoken to, unless to Jesus Himself, which I have never heard during a game. Even the "Hail Mary Pass" is usually thrown with an unspoken Hail Mary.

For some reason, even the F-bomb doesn't inflame me like the other. I always give a T for the F-bomb is anyone besides me hears it, but it doesnt automatically make me see red.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Spaman_29,

You made some interesting and insightful points. I take a different view on some of them though:

1) To me, it doesn't matter if a call is controversial or not...I still have the same expectations of coach behavior. However...if I think I might have blown the call, I might let a little more deserved venting go on. Is that what you meant?
2) I don't think it's fair to give less slack to a coach at a lower level or because they are younger. They try just as hard and put in just as much time.
3) I've always been taught that the ref who gives the "T" should go administer the foul shots. That gets them as far away from the venting coach as possible. Also, if there is a second "T" to be given, your partner can give it so the coach doesn't think that just one ref was picking on him/her.

Z
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quickest way to get a T when I'm working is.... "Jesus Christ!" Doesn't matter who it's spoken to, unless to Jesus Himself, which I have never heard during a game. Even the "Hail Mary Pass" is usually thrown with an unspoken Hail Mary.

For some reason, even the F-bomb doesn't inflame me like the other. I always give a T for the F-bomb is anyone besides me hears it, but it doesnt automatically make me see red.

I think i got the quote right I agree w/ this, it is a MAJOR pet peeve for me. But, people think it is an ok thing to say... don't know the logic there, but... what do you guys think, also players not tucking in their shirts after my partner or I have asked them drives me nuts! But, what can you do...? Also coaches that yell for the "over the back" and "reach" calls, but the only thing that I feel warrents a t is the "jesus christ". But again, where do you draw the line?

[Edited by Doug on Dec 29th, 2001 at 02:28 PM]
Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE2) I don't think it's fair to give less slack to a coach at a lower level or because they are younger. They try just as hard and put in just as much time.

If the roles were reversed...and it was an experienced Coach that had the "lower level" or "younger" official doing their game...do you think the Coach would give them "less slack"?

I don't think so...and I agree with Spaman...experienced Officials certainly don't take as much "Howling" from the inexperienced Coach who may or may not be "trying just as hard and putting in just as much time."

Also...I have fun talking with the players, but they must show the utmost respect. I have Zero tolerance for players who show disrespect to anyone during the game.
Of course the Coach gets more rope...it is his choice how much he wants to use before the "hanging".

Dan

Old Sat Dec 29, 2001, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

If the roles were reversed...and it was an experienced Coach that had the "lower level" or "younger" official doing their game...do you think the Coach would give them "less slack"?

Probably not. But two wrongs don't make a right and as officials, we're more evolved, higher beings right?

Z
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

I issued a T to a player for saying "No fricking way!" Told him that was close enough to the real thing.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

What is "knucklehead ball?"

BTW, I don't know about you, but I use a Fox Forty. Maybe it's a FIBA thing!