The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm trying hard this season to concentrate on calling only what I see instead of assuming things. I guess I'm looking for judgement criteria you all use for these types of situations. Do you go on severity of the contact? Advantage/disadvantage? Contact is contact, regardless of the impact on the affected player? If the evidence is that there was contact, even if you didn't see it, do you call it?
If you do not see how the contact took place you would do the game a disservice if you just call something. I am not sure what the line above means as all contact is not a foul.

Also if you work long enough you are going to miss more, so do not worry about it.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also if you work long enough you are going to miss more, so do not worry about it.

Peace
+1

Worry more about the plays that happened in your primary that you didn't have a whistle on. Those are the ones your supervisor will question YOU on.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 06:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Words Of Wisdom ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Sometimes the best thing you can give them is an educated guess.
"The best bad call is a really strong bad call." (Our local interpreter)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

RichMSN's Words Of Wisdom ...

Quote:
Trust your partners unless there's an elephant on the court.
Great line. Don't forget to include the four hundred pound gorilla.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are exceptions to this, but that's why they are exceptions.

The human eye isn't quick enough to see a poke to the eye, but if one happens it's pretty obvious. I'm calling a foul. I've probably done this 5 times in the last 7-8 years and nobody's said a word about it.

In 2-person, I've had several times where players will come into my primary where I'm the lead and will go over a foot/leg. It's obvious that this has happened even though I didn't see leg clipping other leg. I'm not talking about someone going down on their own going around a corner sharply, either. This probably happens a handful of times a season and, again, calling that foul yielded the right results -- missing that foul would've yielded worse results.

Anyone who says they only *ever* call what they see and never guess, not even a little bit, is, IMO, being a little short of honest. I do my best on OOB calls, for example, but not every one of those on the end line is an obvious call because of the proximity and the speed of the ball going out. Sometimes the best thing you can give them is an educated guess.

That said, the OP's play is different. There's an official there, the ball's not in the OP's primary, and for all the OP knows, the primary saw the play and decided it wasn't a foul. That's different. Trust your partners unless there's an elephant on the court.
Amen!! +1

2 person game you're the T & theres a quick steal at midcourt. The 16 year old is going hard to the basket from the right side of the court, you're on the left side & he tries to put it up with the right. You're clearly behind the play & the defender swipes for the ball (a) both of the the shooters hands come straight up or (b) the left hand goes up partially but the right hand doesn't & the body pulls opposite of the direction he driving. Ruling?

Sometimes you HAVE to make an educated guess. You would be surprised at how many educated guesses based on principles the worlds best make on a night to night basis. Our eyes cannot see everything that happens on the court. After all, our eyes only see what our mind tellls them we should be looking for. Gotta have a "feel for the game!"
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are exceptions to this, but that's why they are exceptions.

The human eye isn't quick enough to see a poke to the eye, but if one happens it's pretty obvious. I'm calling a foul. I've probably done this 5 times in the last 7-8 years and nobody's said a word about it.

In 2-person, I've had several times where players will come into my primary where I'm the lead and will go over a foot/leg. It's obvious that this has happened even though I didn't see leg clipping other leg. I'm not talking about someone going down on their own going around a corner sharply, either. This probably happens a handful of times a season and, again, calling that foul yielded the right results -- missing that foul would've yielded worse results.

Anyone who says they only *ever* call what they see and never guess, not even a little bit, is, IMO, being a little short of honest. I do my best on OOB calls, for example, but not every one of those on the end line is an obvious call because of the proximity and the speed of the ball going out. Sometimes the best thing you can give them is an educated guess.

That said, the OP's play is different. There's an official there, the ball's not in the OP's primary, and for all the OP knows, the primary saw the play and decided it wasn't a foul. That's different. Trust your partners unless there's an elephant on the court.
Amen!! +1

2 person game you're the T & theres a quick steal at midcourt. The 16 year old is going hard to the basket from the right side of the court, you're on the left side & he tries to put it up with the right. You're clearly behind the play & the defender swipes for the ball (a) both of the the shooters hands come straight up or (b) the left hand goes up partially but the right hand doesn't & the body pulls opposite of the direction he driving. Ruling?

Sometimes you HAVE to make an educated guess. You would be surprised at how many educated guesses based on principles the worlds best make on a night to night basis. Our eyes cannot see everything that happens on the court. After all, our eyes only see what our mind tellls them we should be looking for. Gotta have a "feel for the game!"