The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

BRF 12 Penalties for fouls are administered . . .

OK, maybe I'm over-thinking this: Does 8-6-3 regarding the penalties for a false double foul, now allow us to administer the penalties for the single foul, if the double or simultaneous foul was the first or the second?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

A1 and B1 commit a double foul in the low post. A1 gets the ball for a throw-in where the ball was when the DF occurred. Before the clock starts, B2 fouls A2.
What will you do next?

B2 fouls A2. After A1 has the ball for the throw-in and before the clock starts, A1 and B1 commit a double foul in the low post.
What will you do next?

HINT: You'll do the same thing in both situations.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

So, this seems to be a POI situation.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Help me see if I'm thinking correctly, on a simutaneous foul, which involves a double foul:
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Before the attempt has ended, A2 and B2 commit a double foul. I think we used to clear the lane, have A1 shoot the free throw(s), and then go to the AP arrow.
8-6-3 seems to allow us now to report the fouls, and shoot the free throws, and let the result of the free throws be the POI. IOW, if the last free throw is successful, B will have an endline throw-in. If the last free throw is unsuccessful, the rebound is available, and play continues.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 03:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Help me see if I'm thinking correctly, on a simutaneous foul, which involves a double foul:
A1 is fouled in the act of shooting. Before the attempt has ended, A2 and B2 commit a double foul. I think we used to clear the lane, have A1 shoot the free throw(s), and then go to the AP arrow.
8-6-3 seems to allow us now to report the fouls, and shoot the free throws, and let the result of the free throws be the POI. IOW, if the last free throw is successful, B will have an endline throw-in. If the last free throw is unsuccessful, the rebound is available, and play continues.
When all of that happens, call me. It would certainly be the first time I ever heard of this happening.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, this seems to be a POI situation.
Double fouls always are.

Quote:
Close. The FTs themselves (not the result of the FTs) are the POI. Line 'em up and shoot the FTs and continue on as normal -- as if the double foul had not occurred.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

'Tis the season . . .

JRut, I called the foul on the shooter's defender, and my partner called the double. I know such scenarios are rare, i"m deep into studying the Part 1 Test, helping other officials put the written word of the test into mental images. It's that time of the season for me. Soon, the cause of my semi-psychosis will be past.
My first HS Mens' game is Tuesday. Although I don't get nervous, I am joyfully anxious. The games are my reward for all the workouts, and mental workouts, studying the rules, and mentoring younger officials. I know I'm gonna smile all game long!

Bob, thanks for your response.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
JRut, I called the foul on the shooter's defender, and my partner called the double.I know such scenarios are rare, i"m deep into studying the Part 1 Test, helping other officials put the written word of the test into mental images.
The reason I asked the question is if this happened, could the double foul been ignored or was it necessary to be called. For one I am not a fan of double fouls in most cases because usually something happened first. I am just wondering if you or others that come up with these scenarios are not trying to over-think the rule rather than thinking of what is realistic in the game of basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

JRut,
Your question was legit, especially this time of the season, when I'm taking a lot of phone calls and emails regarding the Part 1 test. And we're getting acquainted with the new officials in our assn. But, most of their questions are regarding the minutia of rules that are fairly simple to explain.
Usually, once a season, I present the 20 "Basketball Rules Fundamentals", which seems to answer a lot of those questions, and redirects the study towards more pertinent subjects. Because of the application of POI, no. 12 is no longer true - as an absolute. Thinking of the situation that I quoted, and the application of POI, as if the double foul had not occurred, maybe no. 12 should have the added word "usually."
Incidentally, the scenario I mentioned happened last season or the season before. As I recall, we didn't handle it with the correct POI, but shot the two free throws, with the lane cleared, and then went to the arrow.
I agree that if possible, I try to avoid double fouls. The game involved was very rough and I had discussed with my partner that we needed to get the players to quit the extremes - battling each other, rather than playing the game. His call, from L, was two opponents really giving it to each other, after the shot went up.