The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Couple things

Hey everyone. A couple of things happened to me last saturday morning. I'm a fourth year guy. 8th grade boys.

1- 27 seconds left. Visitors point guard steps to the line to shoot two. 7 seconds left, they are up by 9, so the outcome is not in doubt. Swishes the first, airballs the second. I whistle the violation and start down the court. Obviously, I'm trail. HIS coach, in a very sparsely-populated gym starts chanting "air...ball...air...ball..." I said,"coach, lets not do that." He says,"it's my guy!" I knew he was kidding with his player, but I felt it was inappropriate.

2- Home coach, several times (at least 4) during the game, says to his players after they were called for fouls," don't worry....that wasn't a foul." I've had that happen before, but not so many times during a game. Ever whack a coach for saying this? BTW, the game was extremely rough and physical.

Thoughts?

/many thanks
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 11:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. Ignore it. It's not worth getting involved.

2. I'm not likely to address this, but if he's doing it repeatedly, you might need to. You would need to do it quietly if you do. Do it when you're already close. Something along the lines of, "Coach, I need you to find a way to encourage your players without trying to show me up in the process." He'll probably try to plead ignorance, but just ignore that, you've given your warning and he knows exactly what you're talking about.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

1. Not sure I would even say a word. It is his kid they may have an inside joke going on with that situation.

2. I would not let this continue without something being said at some point. If every foul is "not a foul" and he is constantly saying that it would be addressed quietly and directly to the coach. If it only happen a couple of times, I probably would not say a word. It would really depend on the tone, the volume or when he made those comments. I think you really HTBT to figure out to what extent this becomes a problem.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

1. I think you inserted yourself in a situation you didn't need to. IMO, there are very few times we ever need to be involved in a coach's interaction with his team and those situations will be obvious to every.

2. Depending on how loud and how often he's saying this, I might have a word with the coach. HTBT situation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Thanks everyone...valuable input, and lesson learned. Wanted to get those squared away in my head before high school season starts.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Hey everyone. A couple of things happened to me last saturday morning. I'm a fourth year guy. 8th grade boys.

1- 27 seconds left. Visitors point guard steps to the line to shoot two. 7 seconds left, they are up by 9, so the outcome is not in doubt. Swishes the first, airballs the second. I whistle the violation and start down the court. Obviously, I'm trail. HIS coach, in a very sparsely-populated gym starts chanting "air...ball...air...ball..." I said,"coach, lets not do that." He says,"it's my guy!" I knew he was kidding with his player, but I felt it was inappropriate.

2- Home coach, several times (at least 4) during the game, says to his players after they were called for fouls," don't worry....that wasn't a foul." I've had that happen before, but not so many times during a game. Ever whack a coach for saying this? BTW, the game was extremely rough and physical.

Thoughts?

/many thanks
Stuff like #2 needs to be dealt with quickly. Your whole local association needs to be consistent when it comes to dealing with this clown behavoir. The best way is to remind, warn, then whack.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2011, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Your whole local association needs to be consistent when it comes to dealing with this clown behavoir.
I think these are things you need to handle individually. Local associations cannot dictate how a coach is dealt with across the board IMO. Not everyone has the same level of tolerance or cares the same. And certainly an association means nothing unless they assign these games.

Peace