The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Couple of things from listening to the audio pre-games...

...that I posted up at:
HERE

One from BillyMac's:

Quote:
Screens
We must work hard off the ball.
In the first half especially, let’s clean up the screening action. The screening action will be right in front of the
defensive coach in the first half, so if the coach sees an illegal screen, we should too.
In the second half, with the defensive coach 60 feet away, let’s be aware of the screening, but we don’t need to
focus quite as hard on it. If there’s an obvious call to be made, let’s absolutely make it; but we won’t make it
our “point of emphasis” in the second half.
I found this really helpful. I had never thought of the "in front of the defensive coach" angle. I tried that next game. Told my partner "let's get screens in the first half while in front of the defense." Turns out the only screen in the game came with about 10 seconds left -- it was horrible too!

The other thing I heard (in the other pre-game that I recorded) was "during full-court press, trail (in two-man) will call all lines in the back court. When I heard that it struck me as it must be a typo. Then I thought maybe it was supposed to be in non-pressing situations, trail has all lines in back court.

Anybody heard of this thinking, or think it is the way to go?? It is baffling to me.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
I found this really helpful. I had never thought of the "in front of the defensive coach" angle. I tried that next game. Told my partner "let's get screens in the first half while in front of the defense."
I'm really happy to hear that this was helpful to you. Billy included this in his notes after seeing it in a pre-game that I posted on the forum here about a year or so ago. It gives me the chance once again to mention that this "in front of the defensive coach" concept came from the late Arty McDonald, a great official and a wonderful person who was very generous with his time and advice.

Quote:
The other thing I heard (in the other pre-game that I recorded) was "during full-court press, trail (in two-man) will call all lines in the back court. When I heard that it struck me as it must be a typo.
If we agree on this in pre-game, I guess it's ok. But my personal preference is for me to call my own lines and look to you for help if I need it.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I'm really happy to hear that this was helpful to you. Billy included this in his notes after seeing it in a pre-game that I posted on the forum here about a year or so ago. It gives me the chance once again to mention that this "in front of the defensive coach" concept came from the late Arty McDonald, a great official and a wonderful person who was very generous with his time and advice.
I never met him, but this piece of advice came to me from one of his pre-games too.