The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:58am
#thereferee99

A time out with a twist.

6th Grade boys.

Smaller A1 has a pass batted back towards him, he and a larger B1 wrangle for the ball in the air, and A1 lands a bit awkwardly and off balance near the sideline. He looks right at me with a a grimace and puts his hands together indicating time-out, which I grant.

Then he walks towards his bench, hobbling like an old geezer! I didn't recognize him to be hurt, but hurt he was.

I confer with partner and we agree this time-out won't be charged to Team A, but rather be an official's time out to get a new player in for A1. Partner said he would for this rec game, but wouldn't for a high school game. My feeling is I would do the same in a high school game.

Interested in others feedback.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

I would give the time out back too...much in similar fashion if an opposing coach called a timeout for an injured player on the other team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

I would not. If a player is hurt that an opposing coach calls a timeout then the officials haven't done their job and that's a whole different matter.

In the stitch above the timeout WILL stand.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Time After Time ...

How many times have we heard a player say, "Time out. I need to tie my shoe", during a clock stopped, dead ball. Do we always charge the time out because the words, "time out", were stated?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How many times have we heard a player say, "Time out. I need to tie my shoe", during a clock stopped, dead ball. Do we always charge the time out because the words, "time out", were stated?
That seems to me to be a different play -- one in which the TO is NOT granted in the first place.

Given that it was granted in the OP, with out being called for an injury (at the time), I think it needs to stand.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you really comparing apples to oranges?
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We? Maybe it is just you, do not see players ask for a timeout because of this. And if they request one they better learn to tie a shoe better.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 12:46pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
6th Grade boys.

Smaller A1 has a pass batted back towards him, he and a larger B1 wrangle for the ball in the air, and A1 lands a bit awkwardly and off balance near the sideline. He looks right at me with a a grimace and puts his hands together indicating time-out, which I grant.

Then he walks towards his bench, hobbling like an old geezer! I didn't recognize him to be hurt, but hurt he was.

I confer with partner and we agree this time-out won't be charged to Team A, but rather be an official's time out to get a new player in for A1. Partner said he would for this rec game, but wouldn't for a high school game. My feeling is I would do the same in a high school game.

Interested in others feedback.
6th grade game, I wouldn't charge the TO to team A.

JV/Varsity it would be a HTBT situation (assuming you KNOW that A1 is injured). Consider the example of how we allow the continuing action when a player goes down if there's no risk of further injury to that player. If, in this case, there's no real possibility of continuing action, I'd treat is as your standard injury timeout. If there's a chance for continuing action without further risk to the player (doubtful, since apparently he has the ball) I'd charge the TO to Team A.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Note to self: Tell kids to hobble to the bench after every time they call a time out.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Note to self: Tell kids to hobble to the bench after every time they call a time out.
In the case where I'd charge an injury timeout, I'm not going to allow the coach to act as if it's a regular timeout. If that kid hobbles to the bench, we're resuming play right away just would happen with any other timeout for injury.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 03:18pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Maybe it is just you, do not see players ask for a timeout because of this. And if they request one they better learn to tie a shoe better.
I had something like this last year, but even more weird.

A-1 inbounds to A-2, near Team A's bench. Right then, Coach A says to me, "Stop the clock. There's an shoe untied."

The coach got nothing from me but an odd look. Play continued.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 04:22pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I had something like this last year, but even more weird.

A-1 inbounds to A-2, near Team A's bench. Right then, Coach A says to me, "Stop the clock. There's an shoe untied."

The coach got nothing from me but an odd look. Play continued.
Did he call you "McFly" during this conversation?
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 07:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Marches On ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That seems to me to be a different play -- one in which the TO is NOT granted in the first place.
First of all, in a real game, I'm not charging a timeout in this situation. I'm just telling him to tie his shoe.

Secondly, by the book, why is the timeout not granted in this case. Clock stopped. Dead ball. What rule prevents an official from granting a timeout here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 10:57am
M.A.S.H.

From the OP, I think the timeout should stand.

I've never seen a player who is truly hurt request a timeout - they typically are more worried about what's wrong with them and know the officials will shut it down.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wouldn't make a habit of doing it, but I've got no problem with retracting the TO in an isolated case. If I do, the player has to be replaced, however.