The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I wanted to print out some of the Davisms that have been posted on this board. I had no luck at all with the search function at the top of the forum page, and I thought a Google Search would be faster than browsing back through page after page of thread titles. WRONG!!! I put "Davism" into Google, and didn't get a single reference to this forum. But...

But I did find this: an entry in a slang dictionary for "davism" and look at this definition!!

"An action intended to confuse someone so as to derive amusement at their confusion. ... Called a davism after the Dave Project that searched out and listed these confusionisms."

The web address for this slang dictionary is slangsite.com.
The web address for the Dave Project is http://www.obscurity.org.uk then click on the DaveBase button. There is a place on here to enter more "Davisms", but I will leave that honor to Padgett, since he is the reigning monarch of the Davism, at least on our forum!

Long live the Internet!!

[Edited by rainmaker on Apr 12th, 2003 at 03:09 PM]
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 07:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Juulie - you know all you had to do was ask. In fact, I would gladly have done a clinic for you this spring on this topic.

Here's a few from the "Classic Collection":

Coach: (as Dave was about to report a foul) “Call it both ways”
Dave: “OK, coach, I will. Blue, 42, a hold. (he pauses) 42, blue, a hold. Is that what you meant coach, because that’s all the ways I know.”

Dave: (to table) “We have a technical foul on the green coach.”
Asst. coach: “Are you nuts?”
Dave: (to table) “Now we have T for two.” (he breaks into a soft shoe and sings “Tea For Two”)

Coach: “How come they get the ball on that jump call? They got the last one.”
Dave: (knowing the AP arrow is correct) “I’ll tell you what, coach. We’ll give them this one but then we’ll give you the next 2 out of 3, OK?”
Coach: “Oh, OK……….huh?”

A coach continues to complain. Dave responds, “Listen coach. Let’s trade places. You come out here and call the game, and I’ll sit on the bench and act like a jackass.”

Fan: “Hey ref. Want to borrow my glasses?”
Dave: “Why? They’re not doing you any good.”

Coach: “That’s 3 seconds.”
Dave: “Coach, that wasn’t 3 seconds even in dog years.”

However, he saved his best for me, personally. A few years ago, I was in the last quarter of a game and Dave was watching, waiting for the next game, which he was going to officiate. At a timeout he yelled at me.
Dave: “Hey ref, are you pregnant?”
I ignored him. He repeated, “Hey ref, are you pregnant?”
I replied, “OK, Dave. I’ll bite. No, I’m not pregnant. Why do you ask?”
Dave: “Because you missed three periods.”

Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

I know, I know, but can't I get some credit for finding this really cool definition of a Davism?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
"An action intended to confuse someone so as to derive amusement at their confusion. ... Called a davism after the Dave Project that searched out and listed these confusionisms."
I'll give up some props for the find. Very funny and fitting. Although I have to say that it would be even better if it were part of the "Padgett Project".

Chuck
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:43am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I submitted something to the "In Reply" section of this site. You can go there and rate my submission. It is:

When you order at the counter in a fast food restaurant and they ask you if your order is "to go" or "for here", tell them it's "to go here".
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Although I have to say that it would be even better if it were part of the "Padgett Project".

Chuck
The "Padgett Project" is what my wife has been working on for the past 24 years. She claims she'll finish it one day. I don't think so.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

A reply to the fast food thing that a friend of mine always uses.... Will that be for here or to go?? "We'll eat it here and take it with us"
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I'll give up some props for the find. Very funny and fitting. Although I have to say that it would be even better if it were part of the "Padgett Project".

Chuck
Thanks for the props! I agree about the Padgett Project.

I think the least they could do is give Padgett a separate page for his referee "Davisms".
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 08:37pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

You're right about the Google search -- however, you can restrict the search to a certain website.

For example, click here to search Google for 'davism' only on the officialforum.com website

- Brad
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
You're right about the Google search -- however, you can restrict the search to a certain website.

For example, fficialforum.com&btnG=Google+Search">click here to search Google for 'davism' only on the officialforum.com website

- Brad
Brad -- Thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely be using it as I search for interesting articles for camp. I don't understand why those don't turn up on an unrestricted Google search. The time I did this a couple days ago, I went down through 12 pages and never got a single reference to the Official Forum.

Also, even your way only got about five or six, when Tony came up with about 12, and there must be a lot more than that.

Third question, why am I having trouble with the Official Forum search function? It just freezes up, and I get nothing, and have to close my browser and start over. Every time.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Third question, why am I having trouble with the Official Forum search function? It just freezes up, and I get nothing, and have to close my browser and start over. Every time.
Okay, never mind, now it's working. I have no clue what I was doing wrong, but it seems to be fixed, so LWEA.