The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
First of all, in a real game, I'm not charging a timeout in this situation. I'm just telling him to tie his shoe.

Secondly, by the book, why is the timeout not granted in this case. Clock stopped. Dead ball. What rule prevents an official from granting a timeout here.
When a kid says "time out I need to tie my shoe" s/he's not really requesting a Time Out as defined in the rules.

Sometimes you (the generic "you") need a little common sense to officiate.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Common Sense ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob Jenkins View Post
When a kid says "time out I need to tie my shoe" he's not really requesting a Time Out as defined in the rules.
To reiterate, in a real game, I'm not going to charge a timeout to a player who simply wants to tie his shoe.

However, "as defined in the rules", how is a player in this situation not "defined" as requesting a timeout.

From NFHS Rule 5: "Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official: Grants a player’s request for a time-out, such request being granted only when: The ball is dead, unless replacement of a disqualified, or injured player(s),or a player directed to leave the game is pending, and a substitute(s) is available and required."

Also: "Exception: No time-out is charged if: the player’s request results from displaced eyeglasses, or lens."

The NFHS has a rule that officials don't charge a timeout when a player requests a timeout to deal with eyeglasses. The NFHS doesn't make an exception for such a request in the case of an untied shoe, or an injury.

Common sense tells me to not charge a timeout for eyeglasses, untied shoes, or injuries, but the rules, by the book, don't seem to back that up. And, by the way, these are all realistic game situations. In thirty years I've had dozens of players, from middle school, up to high school varsity, request a timeout for eyeglasses, untied shoes, or injuries, actually using the word, "Timeout", and in none of those cases did I charge that player's team with a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

When a player says "Time Out, I need to tie my shoes" what s/he means is "wait a second, I need to tie my shoes."
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 06:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Let Me Tie My Shoes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob Jenkins View Post
When a player says "Time Out, I need to tie my shoes" what s/he means is "wait a second, I need to tie my shoes."
Agreed. Same thing for displaced eyeglasses, or contact lenses, and, as this thread discusses, maybe the same thing for an injury.

However, the rulebook only addresses eyeglasses, and contact lenses. The rulebook also states that an officials must apply the intent and purpose of the rules, and that, with a little bit of 2-3 thrown in for good measure, will give common sense, "real game", officials all the direction that they need.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

The rule says (or means) "A TO, if granted, is not charged to the team if it was for glasses."

It says NOTHING about not granting a "TO" if it's just for a shoe (or that matter for glasses) during the type of plays.

IOW, the player's statement is not a request under 5-8-3, but rather for a delay in 5-8-2c.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not 100% Convinced, But Pretty Close ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The player's statement is not a request under 5-8-3, but rather for a delay in 5-8-2c.
5-8-2-C: Time-out occurs and the clock, if running, shall be stopped when an official: Stops play:
c. Because of unusual delay in getting a dead ball live.
d. For any other situations or any emergency.

Thanks. Nice citation, especialy if you include Article D along with Article C.