The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Out of Bounds?

Im sure this has been answered before but I couldnt find it so sorry.

Can someone clarify this situation and cite the rule if possible please:

A player is near the sideline dribbling the ball, is forced out of bounds but the ball stays in bounds and player makes no contact with the ball. Player establishes himself in bounds and then is the first to touch the ball.

This is for High school boys.

Thanks
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

If a player is forced out of bounds, then that sounds like a foul.

Under NFHS rules, a player can not leave the floor for an unauthorized reason (imagine a player who taps the ball around a defender, goes out of bounds, and comes back in). Otherwise, a player can be the first to touch the ball after being out of bounds as long as they have something inbounds and nothing touching out of bounds (they don't have to get both feet inbounds).

Also note that a player dribbling the ball is considered to have caused the ball to be out of bounds if they're touching out of bounds, even if they aren't touching the ball (the difference here is player control).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Depends what you mean by forced.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With An Intern ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Depends what you mean by forced.
Didn't Bill Clinton say something like that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Didn't Bill Clinton say something like that?
Billy, I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well it looked like a foul to me too but I cant argue that it was a foul here really can I? The guard is near the sideline with the ball he gets bumped and leaves the ball in bounds the defender falls down so my guard jumps in bounds and touches the ball.

I guess I could estimate my guards mass and velocity and calculate his vector, then do the same for the defender. Give an estimated impact coeficient and we could determine whether it was or wasnt a foul... but a foul wasnt called.

My player was bumped and lost his balance, left the ball in bounds, returned and placed two feet in bounds and was the first to touch the ball.

Thanks if someone could lend a helpful answer...
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
Well it looked like a foul to me too but I cant argue that it was a foul here really can I? The guard is near the sideline with the ball he gets bumped and leaves the ball in bounds the defender falls down so my guard jumps in bounds and touches the ball.

I guess I could estimate my guards mass and velocity and calculate his vector, then do the same for the defender. Give an estimated impact coeficient and we could determine whether it was or wasnt a foul... but a foul wasnt called.

My player was bumped and lost his balance, left the ball in bounds, returned and placed two feet in bounds and was the first to touch the ball.

A player can be the first to touch the ball if his momentum carried him out of bounds as long as he is inbounds (meaning something inbounds and nothing out of bounds). This would not be a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

And remember, most of the posters here are officials and our first assumption is you were an official...which is why we asked if there should have been a foul or not when you said forced out. No disrespect was meant by the statement.

Last edited by APG; Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 03:10pm.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 04:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

If a foul was not called then it is reasonable to assume that the official did not think there was a foul to be called. Defense has rights too and just because there was contact does not mean a foul would have been the right thing to call. It also could be an out of bounds violation if your player was still considered a dribbler even though they were not in contact of the ball. Actually there is too much speculation anyway as none of us saw the play live or had video to show us what should have been called.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thus the generic original question rather than explaining the exact occurance in question... peace?
Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 05:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Etymology 101 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Billy, I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand.
Dueling definitions of certain words.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thus the generic original question rather than explaining the exact occurance in question... peace?
Okay, maybe third time's the charm.

Under high school rules, there is no first to touch violation after being out of bounds. Now there may be a violation for leaving for an unauthorized reason...which may make it appear as a first to touch violation, but under NF rules, there is no such creature.

Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.

Old Sun Nov 06, 2011, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
Perhaps you should have posted this the first time as opposed to some off color joke that was neither funny, neccesary, or had anything to do with the thread.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 06:15pm.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Htbt

Quote: "My player was bumped and lost his balance, left the ball in bounds, returned and placed two feet in bounds and was the first to touch the ball."

So, if the contact caused your player to go out of bounds, while holding the ball, I think, most often, the bump would be judged as sufficient to call a foul. Similarly, if the ball handler, holding the ball, were bumped and the contact caused him to travel, I think, most often, the contact would be judged sufficient to call a foul.
In the scenario from the OP, since there is no "first to touch" rule in HS, some degree of judgement may enter, since the player leaving the court was not a violation, and the player was able to continue normal basketball actions, after returning inbounds.
With the quoted additional explanation of the play, I would be inclined to call the foul.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2011, 02:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Quote: "My player was bumped and lost his balance, left the ball in bounds, returned and placed two feet in bounds and was the first to touch the ball."

So, if the contact caused your player to go out of bounds, while holding the ball, I think, most often, the bump would be judged as sufficient to call a foul. Similarly, if the ball handler, holding the ball, were bumped and the contact caused him to travel, I think, most often, the contact would be judged sufficient to call a foul.
Yes if the defender did something illegal. Being "bumped" is subjective and in this case likely "coach speak." If a defender was moving legally and then the ball handler makes contact, then I would not penalize the defender for something they were legally doing, which is why I said you HTBT.

Peace