The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

View Poll Results: What do you say the answer is?
A) Held ball by 2 opposing players 0 0%
B) Ball loges between backboard and rim 5 38.46%
C) Double free throw violation 8 61.54%
D) Officials cannot decide possession on out of bounds 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 44
2011-12 NFHS Rules Test: Question 7

I want your opinions on Question 7 of this years rules test.
Here it is (word for word):

Which is NOT an Alternating Possession situation?
A) Held ball by 2 opposing players
B) Ball lodges between backboard and rim
C) Double free throw violation
D) Officials cannot decide possession on out of bounds

After looking in the rules book, I can justify that they are ALL A/P situations.
What say you?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 01:44pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I want your opinions on Question 7 of this years rules test.
Here it is (word for word):

Which is NOT an Alternating Possession situation?
A) Held ball by 2 opposing players
B) Ball lodges between backboard and rim
C) Double free throw violation
D) Officials cannot decide possession on out of bounds

After looking in the rules book, I can justify that they are ALL A/P situations.
What say you?

Beemer:

With all due respect, you can NOT "justify that they are ALL A/P situations".

The correct answer is B because by definition A, C, and D are AP Situations; B may be or may NOT be an AP Situation. Hint: See Rule 9, Throw-in Violations. Also, check Rule 4 and Rule 8 for the definition of when a Free-throw ends, and the same rules in the Casebook with regard to B happening to a free-throw when there are more free throws to be attempted.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 01:50pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Mmm, I don't see that question on either part 1 or 2 of the federation tests (used word search). There is a similar question on part 2, but there are different answers.

Have you turned your test in already or are you looking for some "help"?
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 01:55pm
Archaic Power Monger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,985
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I want your opinions on Question 7 of this years rules test.
Here it is (word for word):

Which is NOT an Alternating Possession situation?
A) Held ball by 2 opposing players
B) Ball lodges between backboard and rim
C) Double free throw violation
D) Officials cannot decide possession on out of bounds

After looking in the rules book, I can justify that they are ALL A/P situations.
What say you?
One hint I will give...do not confuse POI with AP. The POI may be the AP but not always.
__________________
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 44
Thumbs up Got it.

I was working through the test and got stuck on #7. My brain works in an (often overly) literal way, so personally I would have liked the question to read "NOT always" or something to that effect.

But in any case, MTD, Sr. is correct. Specifically, rule 9-2-8 (& Penalty) illustrate the situation where having the ball lodge between the backboard and ring does not constitute an A/P throw-in.

Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have another one for the group before this thing is all said and done.

BTW - I stand corrected: This test is the WOA (Washington Officials Association) State test.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:08pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
This is a poorly worded question as there are two potentially correct answers.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:20pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is a poorly worded question as there are two potentially correct answers.
I think I had that question but I could swear the choice including lodging between the rim and the backboard included "throwin" somewhere in the answer.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This is a poorly worded question as there are two potentially correct answers.
That's what I was thinking.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:25pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think I had that question but I could swear the choice including lodging between the rim and the backboard included "throwin" somewhere in the answer.
That would make "B" the only always correct answer; and another one would be sometimes correct.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Beemer:

With all due respect, you can NOT "justify that they are ALL A/P situations".

The correct answer is B because by definition A, C, and D are AP Situations; B may be or may NOT be an AP Situation. Hint: See Rule 9, Throw-in Violations. Also, check Rule 4 and Rule 8 for the definition of when a Free-throw ends, and the same rules in the Casebook with regard to B happening to a free-throw when there are more free throws to be attempted.

MTD, Sr.
By that argument, C is also the correct answer. If the double FT violation happens on the first of multiple shots, it will not be an AP situation, you move on to the next shot(s)...as I think you're alluding to in the rest of your reply.

Furthermore, and by the same argument, A is also correct because it is not an AP situation when, on the jump ball, the ball is held by two opposing players before either team gains control to start the AP procedure. It is a held ball where 2 players will rejump, not AP.

This question is horribly written because you have to make an assumption about the game situation in order to get the right answer....is it a jump ball, first of multiple FTs, a throw-in, or general live ball. Normally, you are expected to assume that it is a general live ball (do not read too much into the question). However, in that case, no answer is correct.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 04, 2011 at 02:34pm.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:43pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By that argument, C is also the correct answer. If the double FT violation happens on the first of multiple shots, it will not be an AP situation, you move on to the next shot(s)...as I think you're alluding to in the rest of your reply.
Or if it's to be followed by a throw-in.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 44
Camron, I like your thoughts. It does state at the beginning of the test that unless otherwise noted, one free throw remains.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
Camron, I like your thoughts. It does state at the beginning of the test that unless otherwise noted, one free throw remains.
Does that mean 1 FT remains after the situation in the question occurs or that the FT being taken in the question is the one that remains.

In any case, I'm not sure that helps. If there is still 1 FT to be taken, neither B nor C would be an AP situation.

The FT status would be irrelevant for A and D since they can't happen on a FT when another FT is to follow.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 03:25pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By that argument, C is also the correct answer. If the double FT violation happens on the first of multiple shots, it will not be an AP situation, you move on to the next shot(s)...as I think you're alluding to in the rest of your reply.

Furthermore, and by the same argument, A is also correct because it is not an AP situation when, on the jump ball, the ball is held by two opposing players before either team gains control to start the AP procedure. It is a held ball where 2 players will rejump, not AP.

This question is horribly written because you have to make an assumption about the game situation in order to get the right answer....is it a jump ball, first of multiple FTs, a throw-in, or general live ball. Normally, you are expected to assume that it is a general live ball (do not read too much into the question). However, in that case, no answer is correct.

Camron and Snaqs:

You are correct about answers A and C, I forgot about both of the situations that you offered, but fear not I would have put the ball back into play correctly none-the less. I agree that it is not worded very well.

There is a question on the OhioHSAA Online State Rules Meeting that has three possible answers in which only one is correct; one is 100% incorrect and the other two are each 50% correct, and when combined together gives the correct answer but there is only one correct answer as far as the Online Rules Meeting is concerned. Once the time period for the exam is over (because people are still attending the exam online) I will post the question, the possible answers with the correct answer as far as the OhioHSAA is concernend.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Nov 04, 2011 at 03:28pm. Reason: Corrected spelling; I am going to have to proof read my responses before hitting the send button.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Nov 04, 2011, 03:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I think I had that question but I could swear the choice including lodging between the rim and the backboard included "throwin" somewhere in the answer.
Same here. Maybe it's a VA thing!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 Fed rules are up on the NFHS website.... HLin NC Football 0 Mon May 09, 2011 06:21am
ASA Test Question 35 - 2011 MrRabbit Softball 9 Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:11pm
2011 NFHS Rules changes footballref Football 10 Wed Feb 16, 2011 09:36am
Test Question (NFHS Rules) bbsbvb83 Volleyball 11 Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35pm
NFHS Rules Test Question 82 Jerry Baldwin Basketball 5 Sat Oct 26, 2002 02:28am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1