The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2011-12 NFHS Rules Test: Question 7 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82920-2011-12-nfhs-rules-test-question-7-a.html)

Beemer Fri Nov 04, 2011 01:35pm

2011-12 NFHS Rules Test: Question 7

I want your opinions on Question 7 of this years rules test.
Here it is (word for word):

Which is NOT an Alternating Possession situation?
A) Held ball by 2 opposing players
B) Ball lodges between backboard and rim
C) Double free throw violation
D) Officials cannot decide possession on out of bounds

After looking in the rules book, I can justify that they are ALL A/P situations.
What say you?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 04, 2011 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 797233)

After looking in the rules book, I can justify that they are ALL A/P situations.
What say you?

Beemer:

With all due respect, you can NOT "justify that they are ALL A/P situations".

The correct answer is B because by definition A, C, and D are AP Situations; B may be or may NOT be an AP Situation. Hint: See Rule 9, Throw-in Violations. Also, check Rule 4 and Rule 8 for the definition of when a Free-throw ends, and the same rules in the Casebook with regard to B happening to a free-throw when there are more free throws to be attempted.

MTD, Sr.

tomegun Fri Nov 04, 2011 01:50pm

Mmm, I don't see that question on either part 1 or 2 of the federation tests (used word search). There is a similar question on part 2, but there are different answers.

Have you turned your test in already or are you looking for some "help"?

Welpe Fri Nov 04, 2011 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 797233)

What say you?

One hint I will give...do not confuse POI with AP. The POI may be the AP but not always.

Beemer Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:06pm

Got it.

I was working through the test and got stuck on #7. My brain works in an (often overly) literal way, so personally I would have liked the question to read "NOT always" or something to that effect.

But in any case, MTD, Sr. is correct. Specifically, rule 9-2-8 (& Penalty) illustrate the situation where having the ball lodge between the backboard and ring does not constitute an A/P throw-in.

Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have another one for the group before this thing is all said and done.

BTW - I stand corrected: This test is the WOA (Washington Officials Association) State test.

Adam Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:08pm

This is a poorly worded question as there are two potentially correct answers.

Raymond Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 797240)

I think I had that question but I could swear the choice including lodging between the rim and the backboard included "throwin" somewhere in the answer.

mbyron Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 797240)

That's what I was thinking.

Adam Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 797244)
I think I had that question but I could swear the choice including lodging between the rim and the backboard included "throwin" somewhere in the answer.

That would make "B" the only always correct answer; and another one would be sometimes correct.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 797234)
Beemer:

With all due respect, you can NOT "justify that they are ALL A/P situations".

The correct answer is B because by definition A, C, and D are AP Situations; B may be or may NOT be an AP Situation. Hint: See Rule 9, Throw-in Violations. Also, check Rule 4 and Rule 8 for the definition of when a Free-throw ends, and the same rules in the Casebook with regard to B happening to a free-throw when there are more free throws to be attempted.

MTD, Sr.

By that argument, C is also the correct answer. If the double FT violation happens on the first of multiple shots, it will not be an AP situation, you move on to the next shot(s)...as I think you're alluding to in the rest of your reply.

Furthermore, and by the same argument, A is also correct because it is not an AP situation when, on the jump ball, the ball is held by two opposing players before either team gains control to start the AP procedure. It is a held ball where 2 players will rejump, not AP.

This question is horribly written because you have to make an assumption about the game situation in order to get the right answer....is it a jump ball, first of multiple FTs, a throw-in, or general live ball. Normally, you are expected to assume that it is a general live ball (do not read too much into the question). However, in that case, no answer is correct.

Adam Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 797247)
By that argument, C is also the correct answer. If the double FT violation happens on the first of multiple shots, it will not be an AP situation, you move on to the next shot(s)...as I think you're alluding to in the rest of your reply.

Or if it's to be followed by a throw-in.

Beemer Fri Nov 04, 2011 02:44pm

Camron, I like your thoughts. It does state at the beginning of the test that unless otherwise noted, one free throw remains.

Camron Rust Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemer (Post 797249)
Camron, I like your thoughts. It does state at the beginning of the test that unless otherwise noted, one free throw remains.

Does that mean 1 FT remains after the situation in the question occurs or that the FT being taken in the question is the one that remains.

In any case, I'm not sure that helps. If there is still 1 FT to be taken, neither B nor C would be an AP situation.

The FT status would be irrelevant for A and D since they can't happen on a FT when another FT is to follow.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 797247)

Furthermore, and by the same argument, A is also correct because it is not an AP situation when, on the jump ball, the ball is held by two opposing players before either team gains control to start the AP procedure. It is a held ball where 2 players will rejump, not AP.

This question is horribly written because you have to make an assumption about the game situation in order to get the right answer....is it a jump ball, first of multiple FTs, a throw-in, or general live ball. Normally, you are expected to assume that it is a general live ball (do not read too much into the question). However, in that case, no answer is correct.

Camron and Snaqs:

You are correct about answers A and C, I forgot about both of the situations that you offered, but fear not I would have put the ball back into play correctly none-the less. I agree that it is not worded very well.

There is a question on the OhioHSAA Online State Rules Meeting that has three possible answers in which only one is correct; one is 100% incorrect and the other two are each 50% correct, and when combined together gives the correct answer but there is only one correct answer as far as the Online Rules Meeting is concerned. Once the time period for the exam is over (because people are still attending the exam online) I will post the question, the possible answers with the correct answer as far as the OhioHSAA is concernend.

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Fri Nov 04, 2011 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 797244)

Same here. Maybe it's a VA thing! ;)