The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Test Question (NFHS Rules)

I missed these two questions on my test. What answers would you choose?

1. An attacker hits the ball into the opponent's block. The ball rebounds off the block, into the antenna, and lands out of bounds on the attacker's side of the net. The line judge should signal:

a. out
b. touch
c. antenna fault
d. net fault

2. Which statement is false?

a. A replay may be declared when, in the official's judgment, a timer's audio signal interrupts play.
b. A replay may be declared when the umpire blows an inadvertent whistle that has no effect on the outcome of a play.
c. A replay may be declared when there is a double foul.
d. None of the above

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Sun Aug 15, 2010 at 10:40pm.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 08:34am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear

Here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
1. An attacker hits the ball into the opponent's block. The ball rebounds off the block, into the antenna, and lands out of bounds on the attacker's side of the net. The line judge should signal:
c. antenna fault
Quote:
b. A replay may be declared when the umpire blows an inadvertent whistle that has no effect on the outcome of a play.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Those were my answers too, Jan. I am interested to hear from Felix as well, since there is a very good chance that he had to answer the same two questions.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Those are my answers as well, but I have not scored the test yet.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 01:22am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear

Quote:
a. out
b. touch
c. antenna fault
d. net fault
The "correct" answer that is being sought according to 5.8.3 SITUATION in the Casebook and Manual, page 19, is "a. out".

IMHO, I believe the more accurate call is "c. antenna fault" because the fault occurred when the ball contacted the antenna, not when it landed out of bounds. Maybe we can get it changed in the future.

Quote:
a. A replay may be declared when, in the official's judgment, a timer's audio signal interrupts play.
c. A replay may be declared when there is a double foul.
d. None of the above
a. True - see 9-8-1a.
b. False - also 9-8-1a...the whistle did not interrupt play.
c. True - see 9-8-1d.
d. Doesn't apply because "b" IS false.

I want someone to explain how this could be called any other way.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 07:42am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Quote:

a. out
b. touch
c. antenna fault
d. net fault
I finally figured out the glitch in this question...the question writer is making one assumption while many of us officials are making another. Look at page 59 in the current NFHS VB Rules Book and I think you'll see the problem.

The question writer is assuming that the line judge is not using flags, but doesn't give us that information in the question. Those of us who referee with line judges who use flags know that the call is an antenna fault. Of course, I forgot that IHSA doesn't allow the use of flags by line judges...they haven't figured out yet that it is a whole heckuva lot easier to see a flag than to see the hands of a line judge!
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
I finally figured out the glitch in this question...the question writer is making one assumption while many of us officials are making another. Look at page 59 in the current NFHS VB Rules Book and I think you'll see the problem.
I do see the issue now. I hoped that by getting rid of the 100 True / False questions in Illinois, that we would have questions where the meaning is somewhat easier to discern. It appears that is not yet the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Of course, I forgot that IHSA doesn't allow the use of flags by line judges...they haven't figured out yet that it is a whole heckuva lot easier to see a flag than to see the hands of a line judge!
Flags would be great, but the IHSA does not even require the use of line judges in regular season varsity matches, which means that the vast majority of host schools do not supply them.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 06:01am
Resident VB Rules Guru

The spammers are getting smarter, aren't they wang???
Old Sat Aug 21, 2010, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Oregon requires line judges for all matches. Flags are also mandated ......
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 08:49am
Lighten up, Francis.

I'm really embarrassed to ask this, but what's the difference between "out" and "antenna fault"? Is that distinction found in NCAAW, or only in NFHS?

Why does the test answer differ based on whether or not flags are being used?
Old Thu Sep 02, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm really embarrassed to ask this, but what's the difference between "out" and "antenna fault"? Is that distinction found in NCAAW, or only in NFHS?

Why does the test answer differ based on whether or not flags are being used?
In NFHS, antenna fault and out are the same signal. The exam really should allow both answers, in theory.

The rulebook shows signals with flags, but those are FIVB/USAV signals, and since NFHS doesn't even describe them, probably aren't "official" signals.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Wed Sep 15, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have just learned that the IHSA (Illinois) will no longer allow officials to view the correct answers to the part one test. What a poor decision.