The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:02pm
Back from the DL

Emailing and texting notifications on Arbiter

Tech stuff, for those that use Arbiter...

As you know, Arbiter sends an email when you've been assigned (or unassigned) a game. Unfortunately, you're only allowed one email address on Arbiter. Otherwise, you could put in your email and cell phone number in that field, so you can get such notifications both ways. (Yes, Arbiter offers a cell phone ap for a fee.)

I'm trying a workaround for this, via a forwarding email.

As an example, let's say your general email is @yahoo.com, and your cell number is reachable @vtext.com (Verizon, in my case).

First, create another email strictly for forwarding, which we'll call @forwarding.com here. (I have access to such forwards via GoDaddy, but I believe Yahoo and GMail also has them.)

Second, set up all email to your @forwarding account to forward to @yahoo and @vtext (your general email and the email that reaches your cell phone).

Finally, go to Arbiter and enter @forwarding as your email. For that point forward, any notifications will first go to @forwarding, which will then bounce to your general email and cell phone.

Of course, you can set up as many emails/text numbers as you like with a forwarding. I don't know if anyone's tried this, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Or just get a phone that receives emails
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

That will work just fine. In Gmail, you would setup rules for incoming mail to that address to be forwarded as you described.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

I use a GMAIL account for Arbiter. I have my GMAIL set up to forward anything from Arbiter and my supervisors to my work email. And though I have a basic cell phone I can access my GMAIL on my phone so I know when I have updates.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Tech stuff, for those that use Arbiter...

As you know, Arbiter sends an email when you've been assigned (or unassigned) a game. Unfortunately, you're only allowed one email address on Arbiter. Otherwise, you could put in your email and cell phone number in that field, so you can get such notifications both ways. (Yes, Arbiter offers a cell phone ap for a fee.)

I'm trying a workaround for this, via a forwarding email.

As an example, let's say your general email is @yahoo.com, and your cell number is reachable @vtext.com (Verizon, in my case).

First, create another email strictly for forwarding, which we'll call @forwarding.com here. (I have access to such forwards via GoDaddy, but I believe Yahoo and GMail also has them.)

Second, set up all email to your @forwarding account to forward to @yahoo and @vtext (your general email and the email that reaches your cell phone).

Finally, go to Arbiter and enter @forwarding as your email. For that point forward, any notifications will first go to @forwarding, which will then bounce to your general email and cell phone.

Of course, you can set up as many emails/text numbers as you like with a forwarding. I don't know if anyone's tried this, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.
Why not just sign up for their mobile site?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 07:05pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As BktBallRef alludes:

My Arbiter shows a "connected" option that allows you to do what you would like to do - for a fee of course (starting at just $5.95/yr).
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 10:54pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why not just sign up for their mobile site?
Tried it, wouldn't work on my phone. My company cell phone ain't that smart. You get what you pay for (nothing).