View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:02pm
Back from the DL

Emailing and texting notifications on Arbiter

Tech stuff, for those that use Arbiter...

As you know, Arbiter sends an email when you've been assigned (or unassigned) a game. Unfortunately, you're only allowed one email address on Arbiter. Otherwise, you could put in your email and cell phone number in that field, so you can get such notifications both ways. (Yes, Arbiter offers a cell phone ap for a fee.)

I'm trying a workaround for this, via a forwarding email.

As an example, let's say your general email is @yahoo.com, and your cell number is reachable @vtext.com (Verizon, in my case).

First, create another email strictly for forwarding, which we'll call @forwarding.com here. (I have access to such forwards via GoDaddy, but I believe Yahoo and GMail also has them.)

Second, set up all email to your @forwarding account to forward to @yahoo and @vtext (your general email and the email that reaches your cell phone).

Finally, go to Arbiter and enter @forwarding as your email. For that point forward, any notifications will first go to @forwarding, which will then bounce to your general email and cell phone.

Of course, you can set up as many emails/text numbers as you like with a forwarding. I don't know if anyone's tried this, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.