The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
For the NFHS, the rule book sales (an now the electronic sales) is their primary source of revenue and is used to fund their operations. They can't give it away for cost or cost plus a little or they couldn't operate. They basically have no other way to collect money.

The NCAA does as you suggest....providing free downloadable versions. But, as is obvious, they make money from other sources far larger than they'd ever make in rulebook sales.
Then find some other way of funding it, or (and honestly I like this better) just give up and go away and we can go back to using rule authorities that care more about the game than trying desperately to justify their existence.

And honestly, how much money does it cost to get 6 people in one room in Indianapolis once a year?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The problem is that they charge for an electronic copy in the first place. The rules ought to be freely available with a printed copy costing just enough to cover the printing. The goal should be the widest possible distribution of the rules, not turning the rules into a profit center.

The cost of the app ($5.99) is shocking especially as it is clear they intend to make you pay each year.
Amen!!!

A running joke in many threads on this site and of officials in general is the lack of rules knowledge of fans. If a fan would like to look up a rule on their own (I know, it wouldn't happen very often), why wouldn't the NFHS encourage that? Makes no sense. As Eashshire says, shouldn't the widest possible distribution and understanding of the rules be a primary goal?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
Amen!!!

A running joke in many threads on this site and of officials in general is the lack of rules knowledge of fans. If a fan would like to look up a rule on their own (I know, it wouldn't happen very often), why wouldn't the NFHS encourage that? Makes no sense. As Eashshire says, shouldn't the widest possible distribution and understanding of the rules be a primary goal?
The NCAA and many other pro sports make their rules book available for free online, and I wouldn't say that fans of those sports are any more knowledgable about the sport. The simple fact is 99 percent of fans aren't going to go that route. The 1 percent that will, would probably spend the six dollars on getting the rules book if they really want to know or hit up this forum telling us how the big, bad, mean referee screwed his team over.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 02, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then find some other way of funding it, or (and honestly I like this better) just give up and go away and we can go back to using rule authorities that care more about the game than trying desperately to justify their existence.

And honestly, how much money does it cost to get 6 people in one room in Indianapolis once a year?
Can't say I disagree with that.

But I doubt the only thing they do is meet once a year to discuss rule changes. Now whether they should do those other things or not is certainly another topic.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Anyone know what the definition of "soon" is with regards to the release of the iPhone/iPad app?
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you really that simple minded?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 12, 2011, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Amen!!!

You would be surprised how many people do not even know what the NF is. There are people that believe in my state that the IHSA comes up with the rules changes and blame them for when changes take place they do not like. You really think a fan is going to know where to look for this information? Fans are ignorant and always will be when they only worry about these things when something "wrong" happens in their mind.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone heard anything more in the iPhone/iPad apps? I really miss not being able to have my books in PDF format on my iPad.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Anyone heard anything more in the iPhone/iPad apps? I really miss not being able to have my books in PDF format on my iPad.
That would be great to have those available on iPod.
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm guessing this never made it out for iPhones. Lovely...
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'm guessing this never made it out for iPhones. Lovely...
I'm still hopeful...
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Might as well hope for next season at this rate...
Old Tue Jan 10, 2012, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Amen!!!

Are you daft? Why? Primary goal?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 06:17am
Official Forum Member

This season's Rules and Case books are available in PDF.
For those of you who want them, send an email to my screen name at hotmail dot com.