Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:05pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Let 'em "fix" them next year.
My fear is that they won't really fix it. They'll keep relying on "you know what we mean". Or nibble at the edges, trying to patch the problem instead of just scrapping it and starting over.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 07:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Those are the guys that don't get it and never will.

They don't like to study what we really do, they just like to argue.
Not necessarily. Could be someone who begins his officiating career in the summer of 2012 and hasn't been privy to the previous wording of the rules. We've had quite a few debates here in which 5,6,7 year-old interps are used to provide the answer because the rule and case books aren't clear.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Oct 28, 2011 at 07:46am.
Old Fri Oct 28, 2011, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Best way i handle these debates pull in our rules interpreter and one or two members on the board and ask. HOW DO YOU WANT US TO HANDLE THIS?

Ends any debate and gives clear direction on which way to move forward.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

the new team control rules effect all team control violations??? How??

Even though the team is in control during the throw in, no front court or back court status has been established.... no 3 second... 10 second... etc... what am I missing????

An additional situation... a1 in back court throws to a2 in front court, a2 turns his heaad and the ball hits a2 in the back.... upon contact of a2 two feet and the ball are in front court, ball bounces back to a1 in the back court... violation???? I know my call.. do you know yours??
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_st8r View Post
the new team control rules effect all team control violations??? How??
By definition. It's been that way in NCAA for a few years now.

Quote:
Even though the team is in control during the throw in, no front court or back court status has been established.... no 3 second... 10 second... etc... what am I missing????
Again, by definition. The change (although poorly implemented) was desinged ONLY to not have FTs when the "offense" fouls during a throw-in, so it's treated the same as other game situations.

Quote:
An additional situation... a1 in back court throws to a2 in front court, a2 turns his heaad and the ball hits a2 in the back.... upon contact of a2 two feet and the ball are in front court, ball bounces back to a1 in the back court... violation???? I know my call.. do you know yours??
First, the "three points rule" applies only during a dribble, so it's not relevant in your play. Second, this ruling hasn't changed. It has "always" been a BC violation, and still is.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
By definition. It's been that way in NCAA for a few years now.

Again, by definition. The change (although poorly implemented) was desinged ONLY to not have FTs when the "offense" fouls during a throw-in, so it's treated the same as other game situations.

First, the "three points rule" applies only during a dribble, so it's not relevant in your play. Second, this ruling hasn't changed. It has "always" been a BC violation, and still is.
LMAO...well stated, I guess the point I'm making is guys read too much into the rule. You would be AMAZED at how many guys miss it......And I mean good veteran officials
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LMAO...well stated, I guess the point I'm making is guys read too much into the rule. You would be AMAZED at how many guys miss it......And I mean good veteran officials
To be fair, the rule could be better written. Wouldn't be surprised if we get some editorial changes to reflect a clearing meaning behind the rule.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So when a brand new official pops open the rule book and reads about needing both "player and team control" in the front court in order to have a BC violation, he's reading too much into the rule?
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 09:39am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So when a brand new official pops open the rule book and reads about needing both "player and team control" in the front court in order to have a BC violation, he's reading too much into the rule?
Well, at least he's reading the rule book.
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

lol...in that case he/she would not only be reading..but almost have "knowledge" of said rule
Old Mon Oct 31, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, the committed wrote the rule with a wording that indicates, as written, that the backcourt violations are affected. They then commented that it shouldn't be and that only the throwin is affected regardless of what the rule actually says. No one is reading too much into the rule....the rule was poorly written.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

"The rule change adding team control during a throw in only affects the administration of fouls committed during the throw in. It has no affect on existing frontcourt-backcourt, three seconds, or traveling/dribbling violations."

What is the source of the above quote given by asdf?
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"The rule change adding team control during a throw in only affects the administration of fouls committed during the throw in. It has no affect on existing frontcourt-backcourt, three seconds, or traveling/dribbling violations."

What is the source of the above quote given by asdf?
I am not sure where asdf found that information but I have seen something very close since his/her post.

My State Association published this statement in their mandatory online basketball rules meeting:

The change does not affect any of the following rules:
Three seconds in the lane
Travleing/Dribbling
Backcourt
Alternating-possession throw-in rules

Last edited by Scratch85; Tue Nov 01, 2011 at 02:42pm.
Old Tue Nov 08, 2011, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
And how does the ball go from backcourt to frontcourt?
Player A1 holding tha ball in the B/C near the D/L bounce passes the ball with english on it, into the F/C and then back into the B/C where his teammate A2 catches the passed ball?
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Player A1 holding tha ball in the B/C near the D/L bounce passes the ball with english on it, into the F/C and then back into the B/C where his teammate A2 catches the passed ball?
My question was directed toward Scrapper1 and to how a ball goes from the the backcourt to the frontcourt while dribbling...all 3 points being in the frontcourt....which went back to my first post in the thread.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.