The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:44pm
This IS My Social Life

9-9-2?

Rule 9-9-2: "While in player and team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt."

I've been trying to get my head around possible situations prohibited by this rule. The casebook has none to clarify. Other than "the backcourt player's pass hitting the leg of an official in the frontcourt then going back..." (previous thread's sitch), can you suggest any other possible situation?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 12:55pm.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:55pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Rule 9-9-2: "While in player and team control in its backcourt, a player shall not cause the ball to go from backcourt to frontcourt and return to backcourt, without the ball touching a player in the frontcourt, such that he/she or a teammate is the first to touch it in the backcourt."

I've been trying to get my head around possible situations prohibited by this rule. The casebook has none to clarify. Can you suggest one or some?
A1 receives the inbounds pass to begin a quarter. He catches the ball standing just a couple of feet from the division line. The defense has set up below the top of the key.

To start his dribble, he tosses the ball forward, with backspin on it, so that the ball hits the floor in the frontcourt, spins back to the backcourt, and he continues dribbling.

That is of course, if you consider this move a fumble and not a pass to himself.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
To start his dribble, he tosses the ball forward, with backspin on it, so that the ball hits the floor in the frontcourt, spins back to the backcourt, and he continues dribbling.
That's a dribble -- so it's legal.

You could have a pass from (near) one side of the court to (near) the other that bounces in the FC and is released by and caught by players in the BC.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've been trying to get my head around possible situations prohibited by this rule. The casebook has none to clarify. Other than "the backcourt player's pass hitting the leg of an official in the frontcourt then going back..." (previous thread's sitch), can you suggest any other possible situation?
A1 in the backcourt passes and the ball hits an official inbounds in the front court. The ball bounces back into backcourt and is first touched by a Team A player.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That is of course, if you consider this move a fumble and not a pass to himself.
It's impossible to pass the ball to oneself.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
It's impossible to pass the ball to oneself.
You know what I mean
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You know what I mean
To be fair I would not know what you are talking about as many people say this as an explanation as a violation.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:28pm

Oh fine, don't have my books to get the exact rule reference...but A1 can't recover his own pass, correct?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Oh fine, don't have my books to get the exact rule reference...but A1 can't recover his own pass, correct?
Why can't they? The only issue would be if the "pass" started a dribble and had they dribbled before. But to say a player cannot recover their own pass would be incorrect. If you deem the action to be a fumble, then all players can recover their own fumble no matter if they dribbled or not.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The play you described (A1 bounces the "pass" with spin and catches the ball) is legal.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The play you described (A1 bounces the "pass" with spin and catches the ball) is legal.
Right, I got that. We were debating whether or not A1 can recover his own pass.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JRut answered your question correctly...there are times one can retrieve a thrown ball without repercussion and times where if you do so, you might be committing an illegal dribble violation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 02:45pm

So let's say my original situation applies, only this time A1 catches the ball, then starts another dribble. We'd have an illegal dribble (ie double dribble) violation?
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Impossible. By definition, a pass is to another player.

So, A1 can recover a fumble. A1 can recover (end) a dribble -- even if the dribble covers a long distance, and A1 takes multiple steps to recover.

A1 can't toss the ball in the air, move the pivot foot and catch the ball.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2011, 03:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Head Might Be Starting to Get Around It

Quote:

Okay, having once again studied all previous threads on this topic, would this be a correct statement?:

"Since 9-9-1 was revised in order to accomodate the new rule stipulating team control during a throw-in ("The change primarily affects how foul penalties will be administered"), the Casebook situation 9.9.1.C.a trumps the unfortunate phraseology of the new 9-9-1 when, say, backcourt A1's pass touches frontcourt A2 (no player control) and goes back to backcourt where A1 resumes control; this a backcourt violation."

Is that a correct statement for that sort of backcourt-to-frontcourt-to-backcourt situation?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Oct 24, 2011 at 03:28pm. Reason: Clarifying the Unclarifiable