The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.
+1

First time I encountered this (as L), I stepped out to see what my partner was stopping the game for. Then, he was confused, wondering why I wasn't starting play promptly. Happened twice in same game, sort of keystone kops moments.

Comments here about pre-gaming it ought to do the trick.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
You sound like our state supervisor, who abhors this mechanic and will not let us do it in 3 man.
Sounds like a smart guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It can be, when the L is opposite in the far corner on the end line.
But hasn't that always been the case? How did timers handle this before the mechanic change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
You can still watch off ball and chop in at trail...you don't have to be staring at the ball. Been doing this in 2-man for awhile, and it's been no issue.
I understand that, and I believe most good officials can handle it that way. But I have 2 problems - I believe less experienced officials will be more inclined to ball-watch, and it still won't help start the clock correctly if the L isn't being seen. How does the T see the tip on the inbounds pass if they aren't watching either the ball or the L directly?

I believe most timers watch the ball and start the clock when they see it inbounds, and don't watch the chop from the administering official, no matter where the ball is inbounded. I've also seen many delays between the chops of the L and T, so I know they aren't always seeing the same thing.

In 3-person, the C can still handle a lot of the off-ball activity, but the T has more responsibility in 2-person. It just seems like an unnecessary mechanic that may promote more bad habits than problems it corrects. JMHO.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
+1

First time I encountered this (as L), I stepped out to see what my partner was stopping the game for. Then, he was confused, wondering why I wasn't starting play promptly. Happened twice in same game, sort of keystone kops moments.

Comments here about pre-gaming it ought to do the trick.
Hopefully the Trail isn't putting his/her hand up until after A1 has the ball at his/her disposal.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:40am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Hopefully the Trail isn't putting his/her hand up until after A1 has the ball at his/her disposal.
+1 This is what I've done so far, and haven't had a problem. That being said, I've only worked with officials who only do junior high ball thus far. Not sure they know the new mechanic.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:46am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Eye Contact!

Another thing I would do, after pre-game, and maybe before that first stoppage time to chat, in the event this occurred, is make good eye contact with my P and kind of emphasize, AHEM, raise your arm, by holding the ball a sec or two longer while looking at them.

Again, they eventually get it and then you can move on.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I was told, at least in the 3-person mechanic, that the L should have their hand up to chop before the L administers the throw-in. This tells the L that they're ready.

If the T is holding up play (subs, etc.), they should have the hand closest to the L up and out as a "stop sign". If they are simply ready to chop in time, they would use the hand closest to the table (and away from the L). It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between the two.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I was told, at least in the 3-person mechanic, that the L should have their hand up to chop before the L administers the throw-in. This tells the L that they're ready.

If the T is holding up play (subs, etc.), they should have the hand closest to the L up and out as a "stop sign". If they are simply ready to chop in time, they would use the hand closest to the table (and away from the L). It shouldn't be too difficult to tell the difference between the two.
I was thinking the same thing M&M. I always chuckle when I see other officials with their hand up as a "stop sign" but they aren't pointing it at anything in particular especially not the administering official. Not that I've ever done that myself....
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.
We've been doing this in Georgia for several years now and it works fine. I wait until the administering official has blown their whistle and is in the process of handing/bouncing the ball to the throwing-in player to raise my hand.

What's interesting is that they don't require the official administering the throw-in to chop the clock, only keep the 5-second count. It would actually be a large adjustment to go back to chopping if I'm L and administering a throw-in.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
We've been doing this in Georgia for several years now and it works fine. I wait until the administering official has blown their whistle and is in the process of handing/bouncing the ball to the throwing-in player to raise my hand.

What's interesting is that they don't require the official administering the throw-in to chop the clock, only keep the 5-second count. It would actually be a large adjustment to go back to chopping if I'm L and administering a throw-in.
That's how I've always been thought as well.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Just curious - with both sets of eyes watching the ball on the throw-in, who watches off-ball?

Is it really THAT much of a problem where the timer cannot see the L chop in time?
This is the new NFHS mechanic. IAABO has not adopted it, precisely for this reason.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Blind Jokes Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
This is the new NFHS mechanic. IAABO has not adopted it, precisely for this reason.
Hey? You mean to say that IAABO has done something right for a change?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 04:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey? You mean to say that IAABO has done something right for a change?

IAABO not switching the T's side for FT administration was a smart move too if you ask me.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
That's how I've always been thought as well.
For clarity, you've been taught that the L does NOT chop? That is different from what we were taught. We were taught that the L has the chop and the T is simply mirroring his.