The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Mechanic? Da Chop (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82682-new-mechanic-da-chop.html)

The_Rookie Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:48pm

New Mechanic? Da Chop

Heard thru grapevine that a new mechanic is being implemented. When the lead inbounds the ball from base line, the Trail is to mirror his clock chop.

Shed some light please...Thanks!

stiffler3492 Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:56pm

When the lead inbounds the ball, and the ball is staying in the frontcourt, the T should mirror the L's chop. Don't lose sight of your primary as T though. Even if your chop is a split second late, at least the clock operator can see a chop

Raymond Thu Oct 20, 2011 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795143)
Heard thru grapevine that a new mechanic is being implemented. When the lead inbounds the ball from base line, the Trail is to mirror his clock chop.

New for 2-man?

BktBallRef Thu Oct 20, 2011 07:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 795143)

In 2 man, a new mechanic is being implemented.

When the lead inbounds the ball from base line, the Trail is to mirror his clock chop.

grunewar Thu Oct 20, 2011 07:20pm

I used to do a lot of two-man. So, when the directive came out a few yrs back, I started doing it this way during two-man anyway for good practice and to ensure I wouldn't forget for three-man.

M&M Guy Thu Oct 20, 2011 08:40pm

Just curious - with both sets of eyes watching the ball on the throw-in, who watches off-ball?

Is it really THAT much of a problem where the timer cannot see the L chop in time?

BktBallRef Thu Oct 20, 2011 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 795158)
Just curious - with both sets of eyes watching the ball on the throw-in, who watches off-ball?

You sound like our state supervisor, who abhors this mechanic and will not let us do it in 3 man. Stay wide, watch the whole play and I don't see it as a problem.

Quote:

Is it really THAT much of a problem where the timer cannot see the L chop in time?
It can be, when the L is opposite in the far corner on the end line.

APG Thu Oct 20, 2011 09:15pm

Quote:

You can still watch off ball and chop in at trail...you don't have to be staring at the ball. Been doing this in 2-man for awhile, and it's been no issue.

grunewar Thu Oct 20, 2011 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by allpurposegamer (Post 795161)
you can still watch off ball and chop in at trail....you don't have to be staring at the ball. Been doing this in 2-man for awhile, and it's been no issue.

+1

chseagle Fri Oct 21, 2011 01:04am

Quote:

There are situations where the timer is unable to see the chop due to either a coach in the way or players in the way.

It also depends on where the table is located on how easy it is to see everything needed to be seen.

dsqrddgd909 Fri Oct 21, 2011 07:05am

Quote:

Yes, in many of the gyms I worked the timer had a difficult time seeing the chop by the L.

Scrapper1 Fri Oct 21, 2011 08:25am

This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.

Welpe Fri Oct 21, 2011 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795161)
You can still watch off ball and chop in at trail...you don't have to be staring at the ball. Been doing this in 2-man for awhile, and it's been no issue.

As APG said, it's quite possible and is not new for those of us in Texas.

just another ref Fri Oct 21, 2011 08:48am

Many timers don't watch for a chop at all.

grunewar Fri Oct 21, 2011 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795185)
This will be an adjustment for me, I have to say. When I have the ball, and I see my partner's hand up, that means "Don't put the ball in play." Eye-contact and a quick nod will probably be all it takes to let me know it's ok to resume play. But it will definitely be an adjustment.

It is an adjustment at first, like the new mechanic was when instituted for three-person. Pre-game it and then a reminder to partners during the game if required, and then it all irons out.