Thread: T ON THE CROWD
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

I didn't know whether to post this under this thread or the AAU/Nite Mare thread, but figures it belongs here. This is a little long.

Last weekend, watching the semi-finals of a 15U boys game. No interest in who wins - we had the next game. Game was a little rough - lots of contact, but not flagrant or abusive. Fans for both teams were very vocal. We were in a cracker-box gym, which made the noise level that much higher.

With about three minutes left A1 rebounds a team B miss. Two or three B players start swatting at the ball. A1 gets his elbows out about chest-high, and tries to clear. I don't think he was flagrantly swinging, but he was trying to make some space. One of his elbows catches B1 in the nose. B1 goes down immediately. No whistle. A1 passes the ball, and team A takes off up-court. A scores, then referee calls a time-out to address B1, who is still on the floor. B1's coach comes out to attend to the player, as does B1's dad. Turns out B1 is okay, just a touch of blood.

B's coach calls a time-out. During the time-out B1 goes to the restroom to wipe/wash his nose. B1's dad returns to his spot in the bleachers. The dad must've said something, though, because a moment later, one of the refs comes into the stands (5 or 6 rows deep), and tells the dad to stay off his court. As the referee turns to leave the stands, B1 comes up to his dad. As B1 passes the ref, he tells the ref, "Get the hell out of here". Ref doesn't acknowledge the kid, but I know he heard him. I was 10-15 feet away and heard him.

Game continues as if nothing happened. Pretty bizarre.

- Catherine Aird