The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know about laws and rights of officials as they pertain to: (1) making someone leave the gym after being ejected or having caused problems in the past, and (2) not allowing a player to participate if we smell alcohol on their breath or sense that they are "under the influence"?

This involves adult rec league players in San Diego, California. We assign to 35-40 separate year round leagues.
Some are City of San Diego, while we also do YMCAs, Boys Clubs, JCCs, and private leagues.

Many times we see the same "problem" players in the same week at different gyms (run by different directors)

Some facility directors don't take charge.

Do we call the cops?

I expect to contact the City Attorney to get his perspective.

Your opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Barry Alman http://www.sdboss.com [email protected]
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

?-1) If player does not leave the gym folling an ejection, you have two choices, 1= forfieit, 2= call the police. As far as causing problems in the past, the game mgmt. has to make that call. ?-2) smell acohol or under the influence= ejection. As far as Law goes, the only law backing the officials in the cases you cited is the right to not officiate the game or the right of game mgmt. to have the police take care of the problem. So, yes, you may call the police to have someone removed from the premise. Having said all this, I am not an attorney.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2003, 09:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It would be hard for those of us living in other states to comment, since the laws vary from state to state. To see what we're considering here in Oregon about ejections, see my thread on Oregon Senate bill 613.

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/8269