The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Rule book and Case book correlation?

I have read the rulebook, casebook. Now I am in the process of reading each rule and comparing it to the casebook to help me understand the rules a little better. My question is does the rulebook and casebook have any correlation? For instance, if I look at the rulebook at rule 1-3-2 then look at the casebook 1.3.2 they are different. I would like to hear how ideas on how the two books are used together.

Thank you.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:07pm
This IS My Social Life

Look Again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by resin113 View Post
I have read the rulebook, casebook. Now I am in the process of reading each rule and comparing it to the casebook to help me understand the rules a little better. My question is does the rulebook and casebook have any correlation? For instance, if I look at the rulebook at rule 1-3-2 then look at the casebook 1.3.2 they are different. I would like to hear how ideas on how the two books are used together.

Thank you.
Yes, the casebook's citations do correlate with the rulebook's. Your example of 1-3-2 is an example when the note following Art. 2 is considered.

Basically, the casebook elaborates upon and illustrates situations in which the respective rule is enforced in the real world. Kinda. Reading through one and then the other seems less preferrable than how you're doing it now.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:08pm
TODO: creative title here

They go together.

The rule book is just that, a book containing the official rules of the game.
The casebook is a supplemental that is intended to help you navigate through most of the "really weird" situations that you'll potentially encounter in a game (and that have almost certainly been encountered by someone, somewhere, long before you got here).

Oftentimes, the casebook plays will reference several rules which must be combined to bring you to the approved ruling.

Using your example, rule 1-3-2 says this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 1-3-2
A division line 2 inches wide, shall divide the court into two equal parts. If the court is less than 74 feet long, it should be divided by two lines, each parallel to and 40 feet from the farther end line.
Pretty simple, right? All this rule does is specify the division line.

Here's the casebook play:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.3.2 SITUATION

A team mascot logo is painted in the center restraining circle. The host school used multi-colored paint for the continuous lines over the team mascot logo in the center restraining circle.

RULING: The area within these lines need not be of one color, but the continuous line must be clearly visible.
In other words: "The division line has several different sections to it that are different colors... is that legal?"
Answer: "yes, that's legal, as long as the line is clearly visible"
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

For the most part the case book follows in the same manner as the rule book...or close enough that after you read the case book play, you should be easily able to find the rule (as in 4-13-2 or any other rule the case book play example is usually 4.13.2 or somewhere near about).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.