The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:37pm
Ok is the new good

Travel?

Need some help clarifying this ruling (Logic behind it)..Thanks

Player A-4, on the wing, catches a pass from teammate A-5 and is about to continue moving the ball back up top to teammate A-1. Just as he's about to throw the pass, he spots a defender jumping into his passing lane and rather weakly lets the pass go...... A-4 then runs forward several paces and catches his own pass. The coach of Team B jumps up, shouting "He can't receive his own pass!!" Was the coach right? Should the official have called a violation??

ANSWER - No. On this play, the coach was wrong and the official should have held his whistle. Even though we can all agree it looked like a pass, that is not the issue here. The only thing A-4 really did was to start a dribble. Once the ball hit the floor, it's no different than the start of any other dribble and A-4 is allowed to catch the ball to end his dribble. But, let's take it one step further......suppose A-4 first jumped into the air and then released the pass, rather weakly as above, and then ran it down (caught it, as above). In this case, the coach would be correct. The official would call a violation (traveling) because once a player's pivot foot leaves the floor while he is in control of the ball, the ONLY thing he can do is to shoot or pass. He cannot start a dribble after that pivot foot leaves the floor
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you have a good grasp on travels.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Player A-4, on the wing, catches a pass from teammate A-5 and is about to continue moving the ball back up top to teammate A-1. Just as he's about to throw the pass, he spots a defender jumping into his passing lane and rather weakly lets the pass go...... A-4 then runs forward several paces and catches his own pass. The coach of Team B jumps up, shouting "He can't receive his own pass!!" Was the coach right? Should the official have called a violation??

ANSWER - No. On this play, the coach was wrong and the official should have held his whistle. Even though we can all agree it looked like a pass, that is not the issue here. The only thing A-4 really did was to start a dribble. Once the ball hit the floor, it's no different than the start of any other dribble and A-4 is allowed to catch the ball to end his dribble. But, let's take it one step further......suppose A-4 first jumped into the air and then released the pass, rather weakly as above, and then ran it down (caught it, as above). In this case, the coach would be correct. The official would call a violation (traveling) because once a player's pivot foot leaves the floor while he is in control of the ball, the ONLY thing he can do is to shoot or pass. He cannot start a dribble after that pivot foot leaves the floor
I dont' see anything in the play that indicates the "pass" touched the floor -- it is listed in the answer.

If the ball didn't hit the floor the coach would be (generally, if not technically) correct.
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

I believe that he is simply posting a question and answer from a practice test. I think that he is looking for someone to explain it further to him.

He just needs to read the definitions of pass and dribble in the rules book.
If he gets a better understanding of what action counts as a dribble, then he will understand why the play is legal, if the ball is allowed to strike the floor.

Also, this play is straight from the old NFHS interps.
2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 6: A1 jumps from the floor and secures a defensive re-bound. A1 then pivots toward the sideline where a teammate, A2, is standing for an outlet pass. Just as A1 releases the pass, A2 turns and runs down the court. A1 throws a soft bounce pass to where A2 was standing. A1 then moves and secures the ball without dribbling. RULING: Legal action. A1 had the pivot foot on the floor and began a dribble by throwing the ball to the floor (the bounce pass); the dribble ended when A1 secured the ball. Upon reaching the ball, A1 also could have continued the dribble. (4-15-3,4)
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Just as was being discussed in the other thread, when he releases the ball, runs, and is the first one to touch the ball, it is not a pass. It is the beginning of a dribble. If the ball hits the floor, it's legal for him to continue the dribble or catch the ball and end the dribble. If he touches the ball before it hits the floor, it's an illegal dribble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Just need a clarification...

If the player is standing, and releases the ball for a missed pass, he can go retrieve it once it bounces off the floor. If he jumps, then he cannot retrieve it regardless of whether it bounces or not?

Here's a sitch I don't think I saw in this thread. Player dribbling, picks up his dribble to pass. Once he lets go, he can't retrieve it I'm guessing? My logic is that if a player releases the ball and goes get it, it is considered a dribble when it hits the ground. So if he had already dribbled before picking up the ball and releasing, then it would be double dribble if he were to let the ball go and then retrieve it after a bounce?

How about when a player goes to passes it, realizes he can't make a pass, then kind of tosses the ball in the air to himself without the ball touching the ground? Anything? Not that I've seen this, but it could happen if a player is in the passing motion and can't stop so he would let the ball go in the air before "pushing" it to a teammate (looking like a tricked, fake pass almost).
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Just need a clarification...

If the player is standing, and releases the ball for a missed pass, he can go retrieve it once it bounces off the floor. If he jumps, then he cannot retrieve it regardless of whether it bounces or not?
Correct, if he had jumped, it would be a travel for starting a dribble after lifting the pivot foot.

Quote:
Here's a sitch I don't think I saw in this thread. Player dribbling, picks up his dribble to pass. Once he lets go, he can't retrieve it I'm guessing? My logic is that if a player releases the ball and goes get it, it is considered a dribble when it hits the ground. So if he had already dribbled before picking up the ball and releasing, then it would be double dribble if he were to let the ball go and then retrieve it after a bounce?
Correct.

Quote:
How about when a player goes to passes it, realizes he can't make a pass, then kind of tosses the ball in the air to himself without the ball touching the ground? Anything? Not that I've seen this, but it could happen if a player is in the passing motion and can't stop so he would let the ball go in the air before "pushing" it to a teammate (looking like a tricked, fake pass almost).
Depends on if the pivot foot moved or not between the toss and the catch. If not, it is legal. If moved, it is a travel or illegal dribble depending on what year it is and who you ask.