Thread: Travel?
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Just need a clarification...

If the player is standing, and releases the ball for a missed pass, he can go retrieve it once it bounces off the floor. If he jumps, then he cannot retrieve it regardless of whether it bounces or not?
Correct, if he had jumped, it would be a travel for starting a dribble after lifting the pivot foot.

Quote:
Here's a sitch I don't think I saw in this thread. Player dribbling, picks up his dribble to pass. Once he lets go, he can't retrieve it I'm guessing? My logic is that if a player releases the ball and goes get it, it is considered a dribble when it hits the ground. So if he had already dribbled before picking up the ball and releasing, then it would be double dribble if he were to let the ball go and then retrieve it after a bounce?
Correct.

Quote:
How about when a player goes to passes it, realizes he can't make a pass, then kind of tosses the ball in the air to himself without the ball touching the ground? Anything? Not that I've seen this, but it could happen if a player is in the passing motion and can't stop so he would let the ball go in the air before "pushing" it to a teammate (looking like a tricked, fake pass almost).
Depends on if the pivot foot moved or not between the toss and the catch. If not, it is legal. If moved, it is a travel or illegal dribble depending on what year it is and who you ask.