The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Mechanics

This pertains to the NCAA mostly but can go with NFHS if possible. Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender?

For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Make The Call ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender? For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?
Here in Connecticut, we use IAABO mechanics, and 99% of the time we stick to the approved signals. Occasionally, if we have to sell a call, or if we believe that more information is required than we can offer with the approved signals, then we may embellish our signals, but these are very rare situations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I stick to the mechanics that are required by book. Now, if I have to sell a call I might use a secondary signal, but most times just the ones that are given to us by NCAA and NFHS.

I have seen people used non approved mechanics and it has caused trouble. No reason to draw attention to yourself by using different mechanics.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:41am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
This pertains to the NCAA mostly but can go with NFHS if possible. Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender?

For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?
A couple years ago, the NCAA men's manual made a BIG deal of not using extra signals like "hit to the head" or patting the leg (to indicate he blocked by extending the leg), etc.

Now, however, with John Adams in charge, there seems to me to be a shift toward starting to think about possibly talking about someday doing things in a more NBA way. (The RA under the basket, the way officials are evaluated, etc.) So it's possible that the prohibition on "demonstrative" signals may soften soon.

But as always, you should check with your assignor(s) to see what he/she wants or expects.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Need A Coronary Artery Bypass Graft ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
"Hit to the head".
I know more about cardiothoracic surgery than I do about NCAA mechanics, but don't NCAA-W mechanics allow such a signal?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I know more about cardiothoracic surgery than I do about NCAA mechanics, but don't NCAA-W mechanics allow such a signal?
Both sides do.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Both sides do.

Peace
Yup & hopefully HS will pick it up soon! I've used it as a preliminary (when needed) but I use the approved signal at the table while vocalizing the hit to the head.

Funny how people are so against The League, but the things they do are eventually picked up at other levels
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Yup & hopefully HS will pick it up soon! I've used it as a preliminary (when needed) but I use the approved signal at the table while vocalizing the hit to the head.

Funny how people are so against The League, but the things they do are eventually picked up at other levels
I wish the NF would pick up other signals rather than this one. There are others that are better to describe a foul. Hit to the head is minimal issue to me.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Non Approved IAABO Signals ...

Here are some non approved signals that we are considering here in IAABO Connecticut:

Change “Delayed Lane Violation” to “Delayed Dead Ball: Withheld Whistle” to allow for delayed free throw violations that do not involve a lane violation, i.e. disconcertion, or three point arc violation.

Add supplemental “Intentional Foul: Excessive Contact” signal.

Add “Shooter Has Foot Touching Three Point Line” signal. We already use this signal in Connecticut, but it's not approved by IAABO.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 12:58pm.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Left Up In The Air ...

Quote:
I wish the NF would pick up other signals rather than this one.
Examples ???

Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here are some non approved signals that we are considering here in IAABO Connecticut:

Change “Delayed Lane Violation” to “Delayed Dead Ball: Withheld Whistle” to allow for delayed free throw violations that do not involve a lane violation, i.e. disconcertion, or three point arc violation.

That's not a change in signal. You're just changing the name of the signal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Examples ???
I would not mind if we could use these signals.

Fouls:
Hook/wrap
Trip (Same as kicked ball)
Knee
Excessive Contact (Intentional Foul)

Communication:
Tipped
Directional signal

Peace
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not mind if we could use these signals.

Fouls:
Hook/wrap
Trip (Same as kicked ball)
Knee
Excessive Contact (Intentional Foul)

Communication:
Tipped
Directional signal

Peace
I wouldn't mind the trip, tipped, and directional signal. The hook/wrap IMO is a hold and can be signaled accordingly. The knee, maybe. But I don't want to look like the Karate Kid and his crow kick or whatever it is called when I make the signal.

Last edited by NCHSAA; Sun Sep 04, 2011 at 04:20pm.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I wouldn't mind the trip, tipped, and directional signal. The hook/wrap IMO is a hold and can be signaled accordingly. The knee, maybe. But I don't want to look like the Karate Kid and his crow kick or whatever it is called when I make the signal.
The hook is the main one I would want because that happens often in the post and when called no one seems to understand how a hold took place with someone's behind them. I think it is a better description of that particular foul. The others might not be used hardly at all, but when they happen I have no idea sometimes what to signal in the heat of the moment.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The hook is the main one I would want because that happens often in the post and when called no one seems to understand how a hold took place with someone's behind them. I think it is a better description of that particular foul. The others might not be used hardly at all, but when they happen I have no idea sometimes what to signal in the heat of the moment.

Peace
Sorry I miss understood, you were meaning an offensive hook. I have no problem with that then. I signal it on the few times I have had this happen after giving a hold signal (bc that is what one assignor wants).