The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've been directed to do so many different things on FG and PAT plays in two years by various partners that I'm confused.

If I'm NOT the white hat in a 2-man or 3-man game (all I've worked so far), what are the proper mechanics for a FG or a PAT? I've had guys put me under the goal posts, I've had someone tell me go halfway, I've held my line. I'm confused.

On a FG or PAT, where are you going to put two guys and then where are you going to put three guys? I realize it may be different on a FG than on a PAT since a FG would be a timed down and a PAT wouldn't, but I'm curious what the vets do.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 10:44am
I Bleed Crimson

I don't know about 2-man, since our association requires a minimum of 3 to do a game. And we very rarely do 3-man, and only on junior high games.

For us in 3 man, HL and LJ have the LOS, and the R is responsible for the interior line and QB. On FG/PAT, it depends on where the kick is from.

For a FG within about the 20 yard line and PATs, the HL and LJ start on the line, R lines up in the middle. On the snap, the LJ busts butt to the endline for over/under the crossbar. The HL has the kicker and holder, and the R looks for between the uprights. If under, LJ immediatly signals no good. If over, we do a thumbs up to the R.

For FGs outside about the 20, LJ is under the uprights. HL has the line, and R cheats over to the LJ side. LJ has the kick the entire way (over/under and between uprights). R has kicker/holder. HL as the line.

Obviously 3-man stinks for coveragem, but if that's what you've got to do.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

We only use 3 man when we have MIAs but when we do, we put the LJ about 15 feet behind the upright, the HL stays put and the LJ gives him a lineman count signal. The R stays put and if need be helps LJ with the uprights. 2 man, hmmm, I guess you would have the R stay put and put the other official behind the uprights.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

There are two main situations: short kicks (defined as the ball being snapped inside the 15), and long kicks (everything else).

Short kicks
With fewer than four officials, the R has the kick through and through - everyone else stays home, and HL specifically has kicker/holder.

With four officials, the LJ moves to the endline. He rules on over/under only. R takes the kick, and HL still has kicker/holder. (I believe moving the LJ is nearly always unnecessary. In my opinion, it makes sense for tries, since a blocked kick is dead. For a FG, though, when the play can be live, I'd rather have the LJ at home to cover busted plays. But that's not the mechanic.

With 5+ officials, you have two men under the goalposts. They have the kick, and the R has the kicker/holder.

Long kicks
The rule here is: someone needs to be at the goalposts. With four or fewer, put one official there - he has the entire ruling on the kick. R has kicker/holder, and everyone else does their normal job. (Plus, of course, covering for the "missing" official.)

5+ officials is the same as short kicks - two men under the posts.
Old Mon Dec 19, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

3 man: LJ takes upright on press box side of field, and R takes other upright from his position behind the offense. HL has entire line. We also do this in 4 man.

2 man: we don't work it, but due to an occassional no show, sometimes we have to. R takes it all.

We only work 3 man in Jr. Hi, so mostly its extra points which are usually clearly good or no good. The biggest problem I've seen is that the "H" goalposts make it hard to cover the upright, so I always started on the inside of the upright on the end line, then back and to the right to cover the kick, if necessary. I think I only had one or two this year that was really close.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I thought the positions in three man mechanics were R, HL, and U? I have never worked it though.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2005, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

You can go to the NFHS web site and they have three man mechanics there. According to them you use Referee,Headlinesman, and umpire. This is what we use for three man for junior high games. I know other states use different mechanics or modifies them to work for them.
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 03:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Badger05
I thought the positions in three man mechanics were R, HL, and U? I have never worked it though.
I've worked it both ways. I prefer having R, L, and LJ regardless of what the book says. I'll watch the line play as the WH -- I prefer having an official on the sidelines for various reasons.

In 3, put the LJ on the endline and he judges if a kick is long enough. The R calls the uprights. The L makes sure there's no roughing on the kicker and holder. No reason to make the LJ wait until the snap to get there.

It's not enough officials, IMO, for much of anything.

--Rich
Old Sun Dec 25, 2005, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

There really are no real official 2-man mechanics and I've heard of various 3-man mechanics.

The best way in 2-man IMO is to have wing guy on the line and the R stay in the backfield. The R has to watch the kick for good/nogood and also glance at the kicker for roughing, he can get help from the other wing guy. This is the best way to do it IMO. Usually if you're using 2-man its peewee kids, so it shouldn't be aproblem.

3-man - have one guy under, R and HL in regular position.