The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/80045-mechanics.html)

NCHSAA Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:18am

Mechanics

This pertains to the NCAA mostly but can go with NFHS if possible. Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender?

For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?

BillyMac Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25am

Make The Call ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 785548)
Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender? For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?

Here in Connecticut, we use IAABO mechanics, and 99% of the time we stick to the approved signals. Occasionally, if we have to sell a call, or if we believe that more information is required than we can offer with the approved signals, then we may embellish our signals, but these are very rare situations.

JBleach85 Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:38am

I stick to the mechanics that are required by book. Now, if I have to sell a call I might use a secondary signal, but most times just the ones that are given to us by NCAA and NFHS.

I have seen people used non approved mechanics and it has caused trouble. No reason to draw attention to yourself by using different mechanics.

Scrapper1 Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 785548)
This pertains to the NCAA mostly but can go with NFHS if possible. Do any of you follow the philosophy of mimicking the illegal contact of the offender?

For example, the defender hit the shooter in the leg, would you signal hit to the leg or just go with the common hit mechanic that is in the rulebook?

A couple years ago, the NCAA men's manual made a BIG deal of not using extra signals like "hit to the head" or patting the leg (to indicate he blocked by extending the leg), etc.

Now, however, with John Adams in charge, there seems to me to be a shift toward starting to think about possibly talking about someday doing things in a more NBA way. (The RA under the basket, the way officials are evaluated, etc.) So it's possible that the prohibition on "demonstrative" signals may soften soon.

But as always, you should check with your assignor(s) to see what he/she wants or expects.

BillyMac Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:49am

Anybody Need A Coronary Artery Bypass Graft ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 785553)
"Hit to the head".

I know more about cardiothoracic surgery than I do about NCAA mechanics, but don't NCAA-W mechanics allow such a signal?

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 785555)
I know more about cardiothoracic surgery than I do about NCAA mechanics, but don't NCAA-W mechanics allow such a signal?

Both sides do.

Peace

tref Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 785556)
Both sides do.

Peace

Yup & hopefully HS will pick it up soon! I've used it as a preliminary (when needed) but I use the approved signal at the table while vocalizing the hit to the head.

Funny how people are so against The League, but the things they do are eventually picked up at other levels :rolleyes:

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 785559)
Yup & hopefully HS will pick it up soon! I've used it as a preliminary (when needed) but I use the approved signal at the table while vocalizing the hit to the head.

Funny how people are so against The League, but the things they do are eventually picked up at other levels :rolleyes:

I wish the NF would pick up other signals rather than this one. There are others that are better to describe a foul. Hit to the head is minimal issue to me.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:39pm

Non Approved IAABO Signals ...

Here are some non approved signals that we are considering here in IAABO Connecticut:

Change “Delayed Lane Violation” to “Delayed Dead Ball: Withheld Whistle” to allow for delayed free throw violations that do not involve a lane violation, i.e. disconcertion, or three point arc violation.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5240/...b584dfda_m.jpg

Add supplemental “Intentional Foul: Excessive Contact” signal.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6001/...942a16cb_m.jpg

Add “Shooter Has Foot Touching Three Point Line” signal. We already use this signal in Connecticut, but it's not approved by IAABO.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5274/...b354c999_m.jpg

BillyMac Sun Sep 04, 2011 01:15pm

Left Up In The Air ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 785568)
I wish the NF would pick up other signals rather than this one.

Examples ???

BktBallRef Sun Sep 04, 2011 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 785574)
Here are some non approved signals that we are considering here in IAABO Connecticut:

Change “Delayed Lane Violation” to “Delayed Dead Ball: Withheld Whistle” to allow for delayed free throw violations that do not involve a lane violation, i.e. disconcertion, or three point arc violation.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5240/...b584dfda_m.jpg

That's not a change in signal. You're just changing the name of the signal.

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 785578)
Examples ???

I would not mind if we could use these signals.

Fouls:
Hook/wrap
Trip (Same as kicked ball)
Knee
Excessive Contact (Intentional Foul)

Communication:
Tipped
Directional signal

Peace

NCHSAA Sun Sep 04, 2011 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 785613)
I would not mind if we could use these signals.

Fouls:
Hook/wrap
Trip (Same as kicked ball)
Knee
Excessive Contact (Intentional Foul)

Communication:
Tipped
Directional signal

Peace

I wouldn't mind the trip, tipped, and directional signal. The hook/wrap IMO is a hold and can be signaled accordingly. The knee, maybe. But I don't want to look like the Karate Kid and his crow kick or whatever it is called when I make the signal.

JRutledge Sun Sep 04, 2011 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 785618)
I wouldn't mind the trip, tipped, and directional signal. The hook/wrap IMO is a hold and can be signaled accordingly. The knee, maybe. But I don't want to look like the Karate Kid and his crow kick or whatever it is called when I make the signal.

The hook is the main one I would want because that happens often in the post and when called no one seems to understand how a hold took place with someone's behind them. I think it is a better description of that particular foul. The others might not be used hardly at all, but when they happen I have no idea sometimes what to signal in the heat of the moment.

Peace

NCHSAA Sun Sep 04, 2011 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 785621)
The hook is the main one I would want because that happens often in the post and when called no one seems to understand how a hold took place with someone's behind them. I think it is a better description of that particular foul. The others might not be used hardly at all, but when they happen I have no idea sometimes what to signal in the heat of the moment.

Peace

Sorry I miss understood, you were meaning an offensive hook. I have no problem with that then. I signal it on the few times I have had this happen after giving a hold signal (bc that is what one assignor wants).