The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 03:20pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
We are bringing them into our association this coming year, which is great!
NCHSAA, when you find out the criteria, could you let us know? I'm curious about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
We time two agility/speed drills....
These look like two solid pre-season workouts. I may give these a try.

I just did a fitness test last night for our soccer board (hence my bringing it up). Part of the reason I took up soccer (which I've come to enjoy as much as basketball, by the way) is because they have a fitness test. These are the four parts and requirements:

*1.125 mile run: 12 minutes
*50-yard dash: 8.5 seconds
*shuttle run (5 yards up, then back, then 10 yards, 15, 20, 25): 42 seconds
*shuffle run (25 yards forward, 25 shuffling left, 25 backward, 25 shuffling right): 30 seconds

Passage is required for varsity games; taking the test is required for any games.

Last edited by bainsey; Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 03:26pm.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I whole heatedly agree that being in good physical shape is an absolute for being a good official. I also think having a mandatory physical test opens up a huge can of worms for any association. Who decides what test will be given? who decides the criteria for passing? Where does the criteria come from? Is there any medical or scientific evaluation associated with the criteria for passing, or is it just an arbitrary decision that members of an association make? Who must take the test? Everyone? Are there different standards for those who do grade school, freshmen, JV, varsity or college? What happens if and when you fail the "test"? How long do the sanctions last? A year, two, forever?
What if someone refuses to take the test? Are they automatically balckballed? While having a standard physical test is a great idea and I would support it, it must be well thought out and planned for. This is the type of situation that could cause a severe rift in any association. I think it is recipe for disaster unless it is thouroughly and completely evaluated before it is implemented. Even if it is scrutinized and well planned for, any association should be ready for unexpected fallout and ranging from disappointment to all out anger. Thoughts??
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 05:57pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
Thoughts??
My thoughts are this wouldn't be an issue for me. If I couldn't pass and there aren't games for me then the game (basketball) is in capable hands. However, physical conditioning is one of my 5 things an official can and should do prior to stepping on the court. The game suffers when we can't get into position (I don't use "hustle" because that leads to fake hustle...right out of position) and when someone is physically struggling I think it takes away from their ability to focus on the task at hand.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 07:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeref View Post
II think it is recipe for disaster unless it is thoroughly and completely evaluated before it is implemented.
Any association considering this better brush up on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Nevada, is that the association up north or California? I would love to implement that here; it is hard enough trying to convince the board to NOT cut our meetings.
That is the NV association. We hold a clinic at a local HS on a Saturday in October each year. We have access to the gym. We have four stations which each last about an hour. We simply made one of the stations the fitness drills.

Attendence is mandatory and people are informed well ahead of time about what is involved and asked to come dressed appropriately to participate.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
One thing to consider is that for associations who are struggling to have enough members to cover games adding one more hoop to jump through could thin the number of people available or who are willing to go through them. (yes all puns intended)
While there are some associations that have plenty of officials there are others who need as many warm bodies as they can get. I personally have no problem submitting to one but can understand why some associations don't have them.
Depending upon the situation of the individual association, the fitness requirement can be mandatory for postseason eligibility, regular season Varsity games, regular season sub-varsity games, or any combination thereof.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Being an independent contractor, I believe it’s at your discretion on how you what to proceed with this concept. It’s a bunch of bullsh#t. I hope the leadership of these associations has weighed the pros and con’s and have a pool of capable officials IF there is attrition from their association.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 12:04am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
Being an independent contractor, I believe it’s at your discretion on how you what to proceed with this concept. It’s a bunch of bullsh#t. I hope the leadership of these associations has weighed the pros and con’s and have a pool of capable officials IF there is attrition from their association.
OK, so let's say you are a real estate agent, but you don't have a car. You have a bus pass and you can get to every house visit, you just may get there late. Is that a good look for the company?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, being independent contractors, the assigning organization have the right to give the contract to someone else for just about any reason that is not one of a few protected classes....and being unfit is not one of them.

Some organizations might find that younger promising refs might stay a little longer if they saw the older less fit officials not getting assignments that have passed them by 10-15 years before.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 03:24am.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I just did a fitness test last night for our soccer board (hence my bringing it up). Part of the reason I took up soccer (which I've come to enjoy as much as basketball, by the way) is because they have a fitness test. These are the four parts and requirements:

*1.125 mile run: 12 minutes
*50-yard dash: 8.5 seconds
*shuttle run (5 yards up, then back, then 10 yards, 15, 20, 25): 42 seconds
*shuffle run (25 yards forward, 25 shuffling left, 25 backward, 25 shuffling right): 30 seconds

Passage is required for varsity games; taking the test is required for any games.
We did ours today.
First time that we have had actual requirements and timed it.

1.5 mile run. Each person is timed. We will use these times to decide what we desire for the different levels of HS games NEXT year. This year one simply has to complete it.

Box drill stolen from NISOA: Run around a 10-yard square--forward, side-step, backward, side-step, repeat in opposite direction. Timed for data this year. Takes about 25-30 seconds.

We will add a sprint of some kind next Fall. Perhaps a 40-yard dash.

There have been some serious changes where I am in both basketball and soccer. With the economy down, we have more officials than ever. We can afford to be more stringent in our requirements for assignments. There was also a generation of veteran officials who hung on for a few years longer than they probably should have and they have been exiting over the past few years leaving lots of room for younger replacements to step in. Spurring some competition for those openings on higher level assignments has yielded mostly positive results.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can tell you that WEIGHING the issue was certainly foremost on our minds when we put this in. For the people who took your attitude and didn't cooperate, we simply informed them that they are independent contractors and they didn't have to do anything. However, we also let them know that as such they don't have a right to any assignments. If they chose not to qualify themselves for certain levels of games, then they wouldn't receive those assignments. It was really that simple.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 07:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nevada, why have them run backwards?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
and why have them run 1.5 miles? That seems to have almost nothing to do with basketball officiating.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 07:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why is it a bunch of bullsh#t? There are a lot of jobs that have physical requirements to perform.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 10:39am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jenkins
and why have them run 1.5 miles? That seems to have almost nothing to do with basketball officiating.
I believe Nevada is talking about a soccer fitness test, not basketball. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Silver.)

In soccer, we do run backwards sometimes. I know the basketball mentality is that running backwards doesn't look good (especially when I caught my heel and crashed near the bleachers last winter), but it's a necessity in soccer, particularly when you're working a two-man crew, and you find yourself 10-20 yards from your touchline (sideline).

While we don't have a fitness test for our basketball board, we are required every year to submit our time of a 1.5 mile run.