The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

This is more than a message its a question for the officials. At a game that I recently attended at a local ymca an official got into a altercation with a player. It began with the player calling out to one of the referees that he should call 3 seconds in the lane. The other official immediatly told the player that he had a technical foul and to sit down and "Shut up". Of course the player was a little upset about the way the officail spoke to him but he returned to his bench.( which I thought Was not a rule I thought that after the shots were made by the other team that the player could than re-enter the game and remain playing) He then began speaking with his other teammate about the incident. At that time the referee heard him speaking on the call and called a second technical foul and told him to leave the gym. The player was very upset at this time but remained in control. he did tell the referee no and became very vocal. He then began speaking with the director of the organization about his ejection from the gym. the game continued and the other team shot all four shots. the referee then stepped off the court,walked over to the players bench and head-butted the player causing the player two front teeth to be knocked out. blood was ru8nning down the player face and of course he retaliated with a right hook to the referee. My question is after this long story..... What are the rules and regulations of the officials in the game of basketball? Also isn't there a code of ethics and an oath that a referee must follow?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I don't really know what to say about this. Nobody headbutts another person for yelling "3 seconds". And very few people use a headbutt to hit another person in the mouth. That's probably the worst place to headbutt someone.

There's much much more to this story. Either the story is somewhat exaggerated, or the official is totally unbalanced and should be medicated heavily on and off the court.

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Certainly there is an accepted standard of behavior for EVERYONE in this world, including officials, players, spectators etc. My guess is that there is a lot missing in your question and no one can judge what went on without ALL of the information.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

ALL the information was given, I was a spectator at the game and attend basketball games on a regular basis. obviously the behavoir was inappropriate but that was not my question ..... My question is ....What are the rules and regulations and the code of ethics and oath that a referee must take.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by onejewlia
ALL the information was given, I was a spectator at the game and attend basketball games on a regular basis. obviously the behavoir was inappropriate but that was not my question ..... My question is ....What are the rules and regulations and the code of ethics and oath that a referee must take.
Here is the code of ethics from the NFHS website:
http://www.nfhs.org/NFOA/NFOA_code.htm

I would think that both civil and criminal charges are in order if your account of the situation is complete and accurate.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 03:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation I have heard enough

Quote:
Originally posted by onejewlia
This is more than a message its a question for the officials. At a game that I recently attended at a local YMCA an official got into a altercation with a player.
Let us not go any further. This is at the local YMCA, that speaks volumes right there. And the NF or NCAA has nothing to do with the behavior of this individual. This basically amounts to a pick up game and two players getting into a fight. I would assume that the league that sanctioned this activity would have something to say, but it is not at the same standards or as anything to do with "real officials" or anyone that had to go thru a qualification process to just have the previlidge to officiate that game. The people you need to talk to is the local YMCA and their administrators. Talking to us really is not going to solve your problem. Because outside that local YMCA, we would probably not know much about the expectations of this official or any that do this league.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

His majesty has spoken.
Obviously, your point is valid, JRut. But are we to believe that we aren't allowed to discuss this any further?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Not comparable at all!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
His majesty has spoken.
Obviously, your point is valid, JRut. But are we to believe that we aren't allowed to discuss this any further?
You can discuss this further if you choose, but to put a YMCA ref on the same plane as a ref that belongs to an a state association and has to go thru background checks to officiate a Freshman game is quite ridiculous. Not at all the same thing on any day of the week.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with you. Not only that, but I don't recall taking any oath, at least not since I enlisted in the military 9 years ago.

Adam
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I agree with you. Not only that, but I don't recall taking any oath, at least not since I enlisted in the military 9 years ago.

Adam
You do not have to take an oath to follow a code of ethics. But if anyone can ref a YMCA game, I find it hard to believe that you can hold them or would try to hold them to a standard. This ref probably is just reffing to be reffing and not a "real" ref with his state or association. It is like someone giving financial advice, but not a member of the SEC.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 04:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Once again, I agree. I'd only add that he's likely not to go very far with that kind of attitude and quick whistle. He probably won't even be allowed into a Y any time soon.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rec. Meeting

I had a HS officiating friend attend a meeting of an assignor that assigns several Park District games and leagues over the basketball season. Well he told me that half the guys that were there in attendance were not HS or College Officials. So there were several officials that worked for this assignor that had no State License to officiate basketball. That says it all for me.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's interesting. Most of the Y stuff around here is assigned by a member of our association. He gets his names mostly from association rolls. YMCA, AAU, and other rec stuff gets assigned mostly to officials who also do HS stuff (mostly sub-varsity). So, if there was an official who behaved as badly as was reported by onejewlia, there would be some repercussions.
Obviously, this varies by region. I just thought that was interesting.

Adam
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
That's rather arrogant, wouldn't you say, JT?

All I referee is a jrNBA league. Does that make you better than me? Just because you have a paper card that says you're able to referee, does that make you more able to call the game?

Maybe this guy has too important of a job to dedicate evenings of the week towards officiating, and he figured he'd make a few extra dollars on the side on a Saturday.

It's very pompous of you to assume that just because he doesn't belong to a state association, that he's just a regular volunteer dad. Take yourself off the pedestal.

I would also like to have you know that a partner of mine called D2 equivelant basketball in Germany - and he now just calls the jrNBA league. My, my...has he SUNK so LOW as to do a REC game? God Forbid!

Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Amen man ... you were right. I get that sometimes... oh you do rec ball your no good or you have an easy job PSH! Coaches and parents taht think because they pay XX.XX at the begging of the year its their ticket to harrass the crap out of you? No... I've been to plenty of high school games. I have talked to college officials. They all have told me that recreation ball is someo f the hardest to call. Does thatm ake me better than you? One thing my grandparents always taught me was

"When you climb your ladder dont forget those first two steps. They take the most weight on a ladder and they just may fail you one day on your way down."

I know you didnt imply you are a better referee than us but i am going to take a stand with my fellow young guy. On this one.

just because we're 15/16 doesnt mean we can't handle the game, the coaches, the parents, the pressure. I've seen adult partners who have called High school games ask me if the coach is getting to me and this is long before i feel the coach is getting out of hand. I mean ... how many 15/16 year old referees do you know that head-butt people?