The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Intentional Foul or Not?
Intentional Foul 28 82.35%
Personal Foul 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

I Still Play

I was taught by My HS V coach that when he says "dont let them score" that means if you have to torch his house, you stop the basket. In his own words " if your gonna foul MAKE SURE HE Misses HIS SHOT" I personally have done the exact play in question. My point is this; you guys are all X'ing him for mugging( which ive done) but you make it sound like him " dragging him down" was an act of malice or that he was violent. watch the video he helps him up and smacks his rear. Theres no "Chesting up" and NOt even an inkling of a potential fight. him holding onto the guy was prolly an act of kindness
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 07:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I was taught by My HS V coach that when he says "dont let them score" that means if you have to torch his house, you stop the basket. In his own words " if your gonna foul MAKE SURE HE Misses HIS SHOT" I personally have done the exact play in question. My point is this; you guys are all X'ing him for mugging( which ive done) but you make it sound like him " dragging him down" was an act of malice or that he was violent. watch the video he helps him up and smacks his rear. Theres no "Chesting up" and NOt even an inkling of a potential fight. him holding onto the guy was prolly an act of kindness
This is an accepted practice in professional basketball, but not in amateur athletics.

The simple phrase "neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position" was created for this exact type of non-play on the ball. This phrase was included because the rules-makers do not want this type of defence in basketball. Period. If you don't like it, get yourself onto the rules committee and petition for a change. Until, you'll have to set your personal opinion aside (most of us have some rule that we don't like) and call the play correctly with an X.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but you make it sound like him " dragging him down" was an act of malice or that he was violent. watch the video he helps him up and smacks his rear. Theres no "Chesting up" and NOt even an inkling of a potential fight.
Those actions would (or could) be flagrant (or Flagrant 2 this year in NCAA). No one is suggesting that.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
This is an accepted practice in professional basketball, but not in amateur athletics.

The simple phrase "neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position" was created for this exact type of non-play on the ball. This phrase was included because the rules-makers do not want this type of defence in basketball. Period. If you don't like it, get yourself onto the rules committee and petition for a change. Until, you'll have to set your personal opinion aside (most of us have some rule that we don't like) and call the play correctly with an X.
I agree, but I read his post as a rejection of the idea that this might be a flagrant foul. My impression is that most players know that grabbing the opponent and "not playing the ball" is an intentional foul, even if they don't know the exact rules language.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Says who? You cannot take a line in the rule and say that it applies to your personal position either. I have never read anywhere that suggests you cannot foul someone and prevent a score. If that is the case any foul going to the basket would be considered an intentional foul and those are still rare situations.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...watch the video he helps him up and smacks his rear. Theres no "Chesting up" and NOt even an inkling of a potential fight. him holding onto the guy was prolly an act of kindness
Most smart players think their actions after a "hard foul" may put doubt in the minds of the officials.
His actions removed all doubt whether or not an upgrade to flagrant applies, but it was still intentional.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:39am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Says who? You cannot take a line in the rule and say that it applies to your personal position either. I have never read anywhere that suggests you cannot foul someone and prevent a score. If that is the case any foul going to the basket would be considered an intentional foul and those are still rare situations.

Peace
Good grief.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I agree, but I read his post as a rejection of the idea that this might be a flagrant foul. My impression is that most players know that grabbing the opponent and "not playing the ball" is an intentional foul, even if they don't know the exact rules language.
I guess. But the only post that I saw mentioned a flagrant is an F-1 in a non-existant game. So why the need to convince us that it's not a flagrant? We already all pretty much agree that it isn't a flagrant foul.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Good grief.
Exactly. You could not answer the question but giving a personal opinion about what is accepted. Guess you have never seen a player do everything to block or stop a breakaway without violating the rules. Oh well.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:42am

Quote:
Exactly. You could not answer the question but giving a personal opinion about what is accepted. Guess you have never seen a player do everything to block or stop a breakaway without violating the rules. Oh well.

Peace
Yeah, that's it exactly.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, that's it exactly.
Well you said it was not acceptable and I really would like to know where any rule or interpretations says this is only acceptable at the pro level?

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do you think there aren't times at the amateur level, where players take a foul to stop an easy basket? There's a right and wrong way to go about it to not make it plain as day that one is trying to foul on purpose to stop a basket. Just because, say for instance, a player fouls a player from behind on a fastbreak where the offensive player is ahead of everyone, doesn't mean it's an automatic intentional foul.

I think that's kind of the point ontheway was trying to get along?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Do you think there aren't times at the amateur level, where players take a foul to stop an easy basket? There's a right and wrong way to go about it to not make it plain as day that one is trying to foul on purpose to stop a basket. Just because, say for instance, a player fouls a player from behind on a fastbreak where the offensive player is ahead of everyone, doesn't mean it's an automatic intentional foul.

I think that's kind of the point ontheway was trying to get along?
The difference is how they foul. Swatting at the ball from behind and missing the ball but getting the arms alone will not be intentional. Holding onto the opponent from behind such that they can't even jump and/or attempt the obvious shot no matter what is where it ventures into intentional territory.

This play ceased to be a play on the ball when the defender missed the ball then chose to hold onto the shooter's body so the shooter couldn't shoot.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 11:12am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Well you said it was not acceptable and I really would like to know where any rule or interpretations says this is only acceptable at the pro level?

Peace
Don't know what the pro rule is, but obviously (Hack-a-Shaq, etc.) in the NBA the practice is acceptable. As far as NFHS, if the phrase quoted above,

"foul which neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position."

does not apply to the play in question, what does it mean?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The difference is how they foul. Swatting at the ball from behind and missing the ball but getting the arms alone will not be intentional. Holding onto the opponent from behind such that they can't even jump and/or attempt the obvious shot no matter what is where it ventures into intentional territory.

This play ceased to be a play on the ball when the defender missed the ball then chose to hold onto the shooter's body so the shooter couldn't shoot.
To your first point, that's what I mean in there being a right way to foul on purpose...and it is pretty much accepted to take away an offensive player's advantage.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.