The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 10, 2000, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) allows referees to recognize good sportsmanship demonstrated during any game. I know that the names are posted on the IHSA web Site but I don't know if there is any other reward. I seem to recall a patch or something. Here is the IHSA website dealing with Attitue

I think this is a good way to recognize good sportsmanship and I have used it but wish there were more being done to encourage a good attitue.
Old Sun Aug 27, 2000, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

I THINK THAT COME BACKS FOR THE MOST PART WILL GET THE REF INTO MORE OF A MESS THEN HE MIGHT BE IN ALREADY.
IF HE JUST STOPS AND LETS THE COACH HAVE HIS SAY THAT SHOULD DO. UNLESS THE COACH PASS THE LINE THAT EVERY REF NEEDS TO WHERE THAT LINE IS FOR HIMSELF.
IF THE FIRST TIME HE YELLS AT ME I LET HIM GET IT OFF AND TELL HIM SOMETHIG LKE IS THAT ALL?
AND THEN TELL HIM THAT IF HE WANTS TO TALK TO ME THAT HE HAS TO DO IT WITHOUT YELLING THE NEXT TIME.THIS IS HIS WARNING!
THE NEXT TIME HE YELLS IS "T" TIME.

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Talking

A calm controled official who calls the game in a professional manner will always accomplish more than will an official who banters back and forth with comments. Bantering only get coaches more upset (IMHO) If a coach has a question and the time is wright answer it truthfully. Most coaches will respect and trust an official more if they communicate during the game. This is not to say that an official should answer every question, but they should be willing to either back up there calls or let the coach know that they might be right. Lastly, if you decide to give a "T" don't do it out of the blue.(unless you don't have a choose). Give the coach the stop sign and verbally indicate that you've had enough, walk away, don't wait for a response back. After drawing the "line in the sand" don't be afraid to back it up.

Keep smiling and enjoy what you do!