Thread: Comebacks
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 19, 2000, 11:37am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Hawks Coach had some very good comments - except about Daveisms, of course

About 5 years ago, I was working a rec league game for kids which had a no-zone rule. If an offensive player was inside the 3 point line, he had to be guarded m2m within 6 feet. This one coach (who was also a high school freshman team coach) kept yelling at me that I wasn't calling the no-zone rule because this one player wasn't being guarded properly.

Every time he complained, his player was outside the 3 point line so, according to the rule, he didn't have to be guarded and the "extra" defender was free to go wherever he wanted.

After about the fourth or fifth time he yelled, I politely (really!) suggested to him that if he brought his man just inside the line, that I would call it.

His comment was, "I don't need you to teach me how to coach."

My reply was, "And I don't need you to teach me how to officiate."

He just stared at me, but didn't say another word the rest of the game. He didn't make the adjustment, either.

I hated getting that way with a coach, but I felt that in this particular case, I was somewhat justified to respond in that manner due to his attitude.

I should mention that I was (and still am) on the board of that league, so I felt I had some authority behind me.

The following year, when I became Chair of the rules committee, the first thing I did was trash that rule.