The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt and an interrupted dribble

A1 dribbling, advancing from backcourt to frontcourt, left foot in backcourt, right foot in frontcourt, dribbling the ball in the frontcourt, misses a dribble for two bounces of the ball, then regains dribble control of the ball with the right hand, with the same foot positions, and dribbling the ball in the frontcourt.
Thinking of 4-4-6, ball location during a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, and 4-4-1 and 2, it seems like the call could be a backcourt violation, as the ball, during the two non-dribbled bounces, had obtained frontcourt status. However, the wording in Case Book 4.15.4 D RULING (b) cast doubt on whether the dribble had ended, and might lead one to think that 4-4-6 applies, and therefore a backcourt violation had not occurred.
The play looked, and seemed odd. I called a backcourt violation. Please, give me some opinions.

Thanks,
Rob1968
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 06:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Left Foot Is the Key ...

In order for a dribbler to obtain frontcourt status, the ball, and both feet, must obtain frontcourt status. From the description of the play, it doesn't sound like the left foot ever obtained frontcourt status, thus, no backcourt violation. Also, I believe that the dribble didn't end, it was just interrupted.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 07:19am
Courageous When Prudent

"interrupted dribble"--seems to me that the dribble has not ended.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I must be over-thinking . . .again

So, if the dribble hasn't ended, and was just interrupted, the 10-second count would continue. (This wasn't a factor in the play, but is a thought that occurred during my searching for rule support for a correct ruling.) It seems that the two unattended bounces could establish frontcourt status for the ball, similar to Case Book 9.8 situation B. 4-12-1 indicates that there is no player control, during the interrupted dribble, and 4-12-2 c indicates that there is team control, during the interrupted dribble, and 9-9-1 could be involved, thius causing a backcourt violation. Comments?
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

A player is not dribbling and is not a dribbler during an interrupted dribble.

The OOB rules establish that concept....the ball is OOB if a dribbler steps OOB during the dribble even if they don't actually touch the ball while they are OOB. But, if it is an interrupted dribble, the ball is not OOB as long as the player returns inbounds before resuming the dribble.

When the dribble is interrupted, the player is no longer dribbling and is not a dribbler. They may resume dribbling, but they are not currently dribbling.

Additionally, they can not commit a player control foul during an interrupted dribble. As of the last few years, they can commit a team control foul which makes the result the same but the point is that they are not, by definition, dribbling if the dribble is interrupted and are not a dribbler during the interruption. If they were, it would have been a PC foul.

The 3-points rule exists to allow a player who is continuously dribbling the freedom to not worry about their specific foot/ball movement when they are near and/or crossing the line....they have to be fully across to be considered across.

All that said, one or two extra bounces doesn't mean the dribble is interrupted. There is nothing in the dribble rule that says the player must touch the ball between every bounce...even if they try but miss. An interrupted dribble is one where the ball gets away from the player. Did they have to move to go get the ball or did they just miss the dribble and continue after a whiff at the ball? I wouldn't call it an interrupted dribble unless they had to chase down the ball.

My conclusion....If it was an interrupted dribble (and it may not have been), they do not have protection of the 3-points rule and it is a backcourt violation when they again touch the ball.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 10:49am.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

This is good for discussion!
I guess the only question that matters here is, is a dribbler still considered a dribbler during an interupted dribble?

Theres no player control during this situation so the ball now has f/c status, he regains control but with a foot in the b/c... violation

*I hate when they goof up near the division line*

NEVERMIND Camron cleared that up!!

Last edited by tref; Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 10:42am.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 06:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Hear You Brother ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I hate when they goof up near the division line.
Amen. Silly kids.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 02, 2011 at 06:49pm.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2011, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
A player is not dribbling and is not a dribbler during an interrupted dribble.

The OOB rules establish that concept....the ball is OOB if a dribbler steps OOB during the dribble even if they don't actually touch the ball while they are OOB. But, if it is an interrupted dribble, the ball is not OOB as long as the player returns inbounds before resuming the dribble.

When the dribble is interrupted, the player is no longer dribbling and is not a dribbler. They may resume dribbling, but they are not currently dribbling.

Additionally, they can not commit a player control foul during an interrupted dribble. As of the last few years, they can commit a team control foul which makes the result the same but the point is that they are not, by definition, dribbling if the dribble is interrupted and are not a dribbler during the interruption. If they were, it would have been a PC foul.

The 3-points rule exists to allow a player who is continuously dribbling the freedom to not worry about their specific foot/ball movement when they are near and/or crossing the line....they have to be fully across to be considered across.

All that said, one or two extra bounces doesn't mean the dribble is interrupted. There is nothing in the dribble rule that says the player must touch the ball between every bounce...even if they try but miss. An interrupted dribble is one where the ball gets away from the player. Did they have to move to go get the ball or did they just miss the dribble and continue after a whiff at the ball? I wouldn't call it an interrupted dribble unless they had to chase down the ball.

My conclusion....If it was an interrupted dribble (and it may not have been), they do not have protection of the 3-points rule and it is a backcourt violation when they again touch the ball.
I agree with the above.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I guess the only question that matters here is, is a dribbler still considered a dribbler during an interupted dribble?
The only question that matter is "Was it an interrupted dribble or not?"

I believe I would try to give the player the benefit of doubt and rule that it wasn't an interrupted dribble.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith