The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

That "V" Palmer interview got me thinking about her superior "people skills".
We talk about having good PS all of the time, but seems we never define exactly what that is.
What are some of your opinions about important "people skills"?
omq
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Easy

You have to be able to sell yourself. You have to be a good communicator, and you must remain objective every second of every day. And you must be approachable and have a sense humor...IMHO
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

1) Keep a level head at all times.

2) Make EYE CONTACT with players and coaches.

3) Speak firmly but respectfully

4) Honor a simple request for clarification.
(This is tough because obviously we can't go to the bench after every call and explain what we did and why, but I have personally seen how a willingness to explain calls at an appropriate time can go a long way toward creating a greater sense of understanding and cooperation.)

5) Smile
(when appropriate)

[Edited by Paul LeBoutillier on Feb 24th, 2003 at 02:20 PM]
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have People & Monkey Skills, also known as PMS.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
That "V" Palmer interview got me thinking about her superior "people skills".
We talk about having good PS all of the time, but seems we never define exactly what that is.
What are some of your opinions about important "people skills"?
omq
One of the main reasons it is not defined is because we have people on this board that think your test score is the determiner of what officiating is all about. In my opinion about officiating and almost anything, the way you deal with people can affect everything you are involved in. If you go around backstabbing, being confrontational and not being open to critisizim, and not being "coachable," you can be doomed to failure in just about anything. What Palmer did was what most have never and will never learned. She realize the situation and reacted accordingly. She is a Black Women and appears to realize that in her dealings with the players and coaches. I can assure you that players treat her in such a way that is totally different than any other official in the NBA and she understands that. Most officials seem to think that they can just make calls and if they are right, they will be seen in a "good" light. Well that is just not true. We bring our own personalities to the table and have to use them differently. I think your personality can make or break you as an official. If you are a 6-8 foot tall official, you can do things or not do things that a 5-8 foot tall official can do. So basically you have to understand your outward appearence, understand your personality and understand who players and coaches will precieve you and act accordingly.

I think this is one of the most underrated aspects of officiating and the reason that many do not make it.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
One of the main reasons it is not defined is because we have people on this board that think your test score is the determiner of what officiating is all about.
First, Jeff, nobody really thinks that. You just keep repeating it.

Second, even if somebody (or everybody on this board) did think that, that has nothing to do with why the term "people skills" is not clearly defined.

Get off that horse. It's dead, and it's just not funny.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
If you are a 6-8 foot tall official, you can do things or not do things that a 5-8 foot tall official can do.
Yeah - you can jump up and clear a wedgie.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Be repectful, receptive,communicate well, and most of all always demonstrate the 3 "F's" ie ALWAYS BE
FIRM
FRIENDLY;and
FAIR
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I have People & Monkey Skills, also known as PMS.
ROTFLMAO!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 07:55pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Quote:
If you are a 6-8 foot tall official, you can do things or not do things that a 5-8 foot tall official can do.
I've never had to jump to clear one of my wedgies...what are you doing down there in Oregon, Padgett???
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Quote:
I've never had to jump to clear one of my wedgies...what are you doing down there in Oregon, Padgett???
Were you the "wedgier" or the "wedgiee",Rocky?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It is very true.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Second, even if somebody (or everybody on this board) did think that, that has nothing to do with why the term "people skills" is not clearly defined.

Get off that horse. It's dead, and it's just not funny.

Chuck
Not trying to be funny. Just telling the truth. If you do not agree, take it up with the people that only talk in terms of being a "test" master to prove your worth as an official.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Mr. People Skills has spoken
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: It is very true.

Quote:
Not trying to be funny. Just telling the truth. If you do not agree, take it up with the people that only talk in terms of being a "test" master to prove your worth as an official.
No offense, Jeff, but you're not "just telling the truth". You repeat this falsehood as a straw man argument to boost your position that rules knowledge is a secondary skill for outstanding officials. Nobody, nobody, nobody on this board believes that a rules test is the sole indicator of one's worth as an official. I defy you, I dare you -- I triple-dog dare you -- to find one single post where anyone has seriously stated that knowing the rules is the only requisite for being an outstanding official.

Without dodging the issue, if you can repost one single post where this is said, I will take your side and openly mock anyone who puts any credence in rules knowledge.

But you can't do it. Because not one single person really believes what you keep saying they believe. So please get off it.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

-Keeping your head when all those about you are losing theirs
-Being able to defuse an emotionally charged situation. This is not a strong male trait, it's something we have to develop
-Redirecting focus to get the game going again

I'd like to add that Rut (and I) live in a state that doesn't stress rules knowledge as a major factor to remain registered to officiate high school sports. Frankly, I have never seen the "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo, I have a higher score than you" attitude. Maybe I just don't get out enough.
Closed Thread