View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
That "V" Palmer interview got me thinking about her superior "people skills".
We talk about having good PS all of the time, but seems we never define exactly what that is.
What are some of your opinions about important "people skills"?
omq
One of the main reasons it is not defined is because we have people on this board that think your test score is the determiner of what officiating is all about. In my opinion about officiating and almost anything, the way you deal with people can affect everything you are involved in. If you go around backstabbing, being confrontational and not being open to critisizim, and not being "coachable," you can be doomed to failure in just about anything. What Palmer did was what most have never and will never learned. She realize the situation and reacted accordingly. She is a Black Women and appears to realize that in her dealings with the players and coaches. I can assure you that players treat her in such a way that is totally different than any other official in the NBA and she understands that. Most officials seem to think that they can just make calls and if they are right, they will be seen in a "good" light. Well that is just not true. We bring our own personalities to the table and have to use them differently. I think your personality can make or break you as an official. If you are a 6-8 foot tall official, you can do things or not do things that a 5-8 foot tall official can do. So basically you have to understand your outward appearence, understand your personality and understand who players and coaches will precieve you and act accordingly.

I think this is one of the most underrated aspects of officiating and the reason that many do not make it.

Peace