The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

As somone who received a 100% on his test i can assure you that it alone does not make me a good ref. However knowledge of the rules surely gives one the confidence to begin to become a good ref. Over this year i have woorked with many "senior" off. who have helped me a lot. I feel by watching them and learning from them in terms of game management people skills etc i am on my way to becoming a good ref.

Common sense would dictate that it takes many different skills to be good but a full understanding of the rules most be the base we build on.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: You know what everybody thinks?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am glad you have claimed that you know what everyone that is an official thinks. I am glad you have had conversations with officials here and outside here and have come to a conclusion that we all should and do think alike.
Jeff, we've been down this road, and I admitted that you were correct on this point. I cannot know what everybody actually thinks. I can only know what they've written here on the board. So I've been saying that nobody has ever seriously said (whether they believe it or not) that good rule knowledge is the only thing necessary to make a good official. So my request was that you quote a post where somebody seriously stated that position. You have not done that.

Additionally, as Tony pointed out, you were the one who originally made a statement about what people think.

All I want to know is how you know that? That's all I've been asking in this thread. And you refuse to answer, b/c you don't know it at all. You only say it b/c it somehow makes you look good. Even tho, as I've said repeatedly, it's obviously false. You should have the courage and the maturity to admit that you spoke too quickly and you were in error. But for some reason, you refuse to do that as well.

Chuck
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

I DECLARE SHENANIGANS !!!!
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
That "V" Palmer interview got me thinking about her superior "people skills". We talk about having good PS all of the time, but seems we never define exactly what that is. What are some of your opinions about important "people skills"?
Did we ever get any answers to this question?
You'll NEVER get answers. Only opinions.
All I can say to that is:

Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 01:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Well Chuck.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

All I want to know is how you know that? That's all I've been asking in this thread. And you refuse to answer, b/c you don't know it at all. You only say it b/c it somehow makes you look good. Even tho, as I've said repeatedly, it's obviously false. You should have the courage and the maturity to admit that you spoke too quickly and you were in error. But for some reason, you refuse to do that as well.

Chuck
You cannot have it both ways. You cannot on one had tell me that everything I said was completely false (one statement by the way) and say you do not know what everyone is thinking at the same time. What I said is based on an opinion. Opinions are shaded by an individuals preception of statements and events. Look at our political system and how people view based on the same events.

I will expect the next time someone gives and opinion that you disagree with, you will follow them around for 8 plus pages to get them to prove their point. And what is so funny is that I did not name names or point out anyone specifically. But those that seemed to think I am talking about them show how offended this makes them for me to make a claim about them (which I did not do about them personally). It is easy to say in this forum now that no one believes that. But when no one is looking or paying attention we will see what comes off the computer screen.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 01:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Post numbers!!!

I see Chuck, this is a conspiracy to our post numbers up. I do not think we are going to catch Mick or Tony anytime soon.

Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well Chuck.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
You cannot have it both ways. You cannot on one had tell me that everything I said was completely false (one statement by the way) and say you do not know what everyone is thinking at the same time.
I know that, Jeff. I have already admitted three times that I spoke incorrectly. You are right about that, ok? I can admit when I make a mistake. I should not have claimed to know what people think. Instead, I am claiming that no one has ever posted anything on this discussion board that seriously states that rule knowledge is all one needs to be an outstanding official. So now instead of telling me what I already know (that I made an error), tell me something that I don't know; like how you can possibly know that there are people on this board who believe that rule knowledge is the only thing necessary to be an outstanding official?

Quote:
What I said is based on an opinion.
No, it wasn't. What you said was a statement of fact. It has nothing whatsoever to do with opinion. I've already made this crystal clear to you on more than one occasion, but you ignore it. You said that there are people on this board who believe "x". Now, either there are such people or there aren't. And your "opinion" about it is irrelevant. Either 2 + 2 = 4 or it doesn't, and your opinion about it is irrelevant.

But, let's suppose just for a second that your statement really was an opinion (like "Gray officiating shirts look better than striped officiating shirts"). Maybe you could at least tell me how you formed that opinion. Maybe you could point out which comments on this board led to the evolution of that opinion. That's all I'm asking. That's all I've ever asked. Care to share?

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Back to the original post. . .

I just want to point out something about the original post in this thread. After reading the article about Violet Palmer, and the superior "people skills" of women in general, the IHSAA decided to use only female officials for all their Illinois state-sanctioned postseason games, including the boys' games. So I wanted to congratulate all the female officials who are working the Illinois post-season this year. Way to go, ladies!!

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Back to the original post. . .

Quote:
I just want to point out something about the original post in this thread. After reading the article about Violet Palmer, and the superior "people skills" of women in general, the IHSAA decided to use only female officials for all their Illinois state-sanctioned postseason games, including the boys' games. So I wanted to congratulate all the female officials who are working the Illinois post-season this year. Way to go, ladies!!

Chuck
Oh boy! This is going to get real interesting.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Back to the original post. . .

Quote:

Chuck
If I'd only known that I was creating a 10 page monster. I'd have thunk twice about the topic.
About the above statement by Chuck; it's about time
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

I feel bad for Jeff and for Bob Jenkins, b/c they won't be able to get post-season games, but it's great to see that Illinois will be using all-female crews for the entire playoffs. I was glad to see that announcement; it's a great first step.

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 07:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Re: Back to the original post. . .

Quote:
After reading the article about Violet Palmer, and the superior "people skills" of women in general, the IHSAA decided to use only female officials for all their Illinois state-sanctioned postseason games, including the boys' games.
Chuck

I have a problem with this if I understand it correctly.
Illinois is using exclusively female officials for postseason because of their superior people skills? In the first place I see that as a dangerous generalization. In the second place people skills are only one piece of the puzzle. How big a piece is debatable.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Back to the original post. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I have a problem with this if I understand it correctly.
Illinois is using exclusively female officials for postseason because of their superior people skills?
You understand it correctly. It's absolutely true!
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Here's Hootie!!!

Are the members of the Augusta Country Club going to picket the Illinois tournaments??? Or is this another politically-correct, get-even schtick against the evil white male referees??? This could be a pandora's box, next year it'll be the wheel-chair reffing, followed by gay-and-lesbian reffing, followed by ex-democrat legislators reffing. And then what other kind of minority gets their shot??? This is a joke...right Chuck??? If Montana did something like that, there wouldn't be enough trees in this state to make the paper for all the resignations from the MOA.

[Edited by theshortbaldref on Mar 2nd, 2003 at 07:43 PM]
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Re: Back to the original post. . .

Quote:

Chuck
What is the IHSAA?

Peace
Closed Thread