The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 09:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

A very experienced official recently expressed to me his theory that on 99% of all blarge calls, the Lead has the block and the Trail has the charge. His thought is that the Lead picks up the play much later and doesn't see the defense until the contact occurs. Always looks like a block.

Any thoughts?

Chuck
Maybe I'm not following you correctly. If he doesn't see the defense until the contact, how is it a block? If he didn't see the defender, how does he know whether the defender was moving, stationary, or what? Could you elaborate further?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
If he doesn't see the defense until the contact, how is it a block? If he didn't see the defender, how does he know whether the defender was moving, stationary, or what?
He doesn't, and that's exactly the point. The Lead picks up the play late and sees -- BANG! -- contact that demands a whistle. Problem is he doesn't have a great look at the defense. But b/c of the contact and the quickness, it looks like a block. So that's what he comes out with. That's the theory, anyway.

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Wow. I've actually thought the opposite.

There are times when a player drives the baseline on my (lead) side, beats the first defender and there's a block/charge under the goal -- looks like a charge, but I'm not entirely sure if the defender slid up after the driver took off.

To me, it is just a play that is hard calling with 2 officials. Neither sees the entire thing.

On a long-developing block/charge, I feel I have the best view as the lead, since I'm in a better position to referee the defense.

YMMV.

Chuck, drop me an email -- [email protected] -- I lived in Natick for a while and was curious as to who played your game on Saturday.

Rich
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Most of the clinicians and supervisors that I've discussed this play with want the call to come from the official who's primary the play originated from -- because like Chuck said, they see the whole play.

That's worked well for me -- as long as it's pregamed!
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've heard this being the preference in 3-man, but not in 2-man, although I can see it having merit there too.

Rich
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by LSams
Most of the clinicians and supervisors that I've discussed this play with want the call to come from the official who's primary the play originated from -- because like Chuck said, they see the whole play.
Except as in the case pointed out by Rich where the questionable call doesn't involve the first defender, but rather the second one. My opinion, although I'm not very good at it yet, is that the Lead should be especially attentive off-ball as the drive develops so that Lead has all the possible defenders, with the ball just out of the corner of the eye. The pregame includes Trail following the play into the lane, so that Lead is free to watch the defense.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
This is not always true. Fouls that occur near the line that divide the official's primaries often result in a double whistle.
I was, no doubt, remiss in failing to mention that SOMETIMES a double whistle is unavoidable.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
I've heard this being the preference in 3-man, but not in 2-man, although I can see it having merit there too.

Rich
Why would you not want this to be the case in two man?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 04:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I never said I didn't WANT it to be the case -- only that most of the clinicians and supervisors teach that the call belongs to the "official the play is coming towards."

I see merit in giving the block/charge to the trail. I really do. I just haven't heard it done much.

Rich
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

How about when there's a secondary defender coming from the weak side? How can the official who's area the ball came from possibly make that call? He's refereeing the primary defender and the dribbler. Suddenly out of the corner of his eye, BOOM!

With scondary defenders on a drive to the basket, I think the L has to get it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith