Thread: Double Whistles
View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I have worked on this year is making sure that when I have a foul or violation - even a jump ball - I blow my whistle and raise my hand (open or closed) and then make sure my partner doesn't also have something on the same play before I indicate my call.

Last night in a league championship game I saw not once, but twice, two officials have double whistles. The first time official #1 had a charge and indicated it immediately while #2 had a block and signaled it right away as well. The second time (2 quarters later) the reverse happened and official #1 had the block and #2 had the charge. Needless to say, the coaches went crazy on both plays as they each knew one official had the call "their way".

The way they resolved it was a little odd, #2's called stood both times - even though it was really his partners primary in both cases. #2 was the R, so I guess he just made it so. On the second call, I saw #1 shrug towards one of the players as if to say - sorry pal, not my fault.

I try to cover this in my pre-game with my partner and I have never had a problem. I have also never worked with someone that refused to defer to my call and take matter into his own hands. Do any of you have advice for me should I be confronted in such a situation?