Thread: Double Whistles
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not always true Paul.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul LeBoutillier
We've discussed the issue of double whistles on several occasions. For starters a double whistle (dealing with the same play) reveals that NO ONE was looking off the ball and SOMEONE was probably calling outside their area.
Paul, I would not go that far. I think it depends on where the ball is and what is called. And it depends on the type of officiating crew that you have. Two Person and 3 Person can have a different level of number of double whistles and reasons for them.

Quote:

But when a double whistle occurs we FIRST look to see what the other official has (fist or open hand). Then we come together quickly and ask "What do you have?" If we have different calls we quickly assess if one occurred first (if possible). If we determine we have the same call, the official closest to the call reports. If we have concurrent fouls, we make them accordingly.
Actually you do not even have to come together if discussed properly in the pregame. You might determine that a certain official has a call depending on its location. You might have a certain official just drop out or give up the call to his/her partner. Most double whistles I have, my partners and I do not even have to say a word to each other. Make eye contact or not make eye contact and maybe one of the officials just drops their arm.

Quote:

Double whistles are a good reason to connect and do a little talking during dead balls to make sure they don't keep happening.
They can be if they are happening for no good reason. But sometimes they are good, it just comes down to how you handle them.

Peace