The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Proper Mechanic R2 Advancing

My understanding has been that with R1 and R2 and less than 2 outs, on a fly ball to the outfield the PU will have the play at 3rd if R2 tags and goes. I have, however, recently been advised that in that situation if the fly to the outfield is routine (a can of corn) that the BU will take the tag at 2d and take R2 to 3rd if he tags and goes.

Is that correct? Do I have it backwards? Do I know what I'm talking about?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have always pregame this situation as you describe, my partner did for me tonight. If can of corn, depends on depth and location, whether runner will try to advance. I see and advance seldom, unless deep in RF and if you take 3b, who will take 2b if throw from F9 actually goes there?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:31am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
My understanding has been that with R1 and R2 and less than 2 outs, on a fly ball to the outfield the PU will have the play at 3rd if R2 tags and goes. I have, however, recently been advised that in that situation if the fly to the outfield is routine (a can of corn) that the BU will take the tag at 2d and take R2 to 3rd if he tags and goes.

Is that correct? Do I have it backwards? Do I know what I'm talking about?

Any help would be appreciated.
The situation is determined by BU; if he has the fly ball, he lets PU know. If he does not, then PU takes the fly. Base responsibilities fall from BU's determination.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply The Best View Post
The situation is determined by BU; if he has the fly ball, he lets PU know. If he does not, then PU takes the fly. Base responsibilities fall from BU's determination.
I have to disagree. The situation is determined by PU. BU takes the V; PU takes any call where F7 or F9 have to go toward the foul lines -- anything else is BU. In these situations, PU will call BU off the catch.

If the ball is hit toward 1B foul line, PU says "I'm on the line, Jim!" This tells Jim that PU has both the catch AND that PU can't take R2's tag into 3B.

If the ball is hit toward 3B foul line, PU says "I've got the ball, Jim!" Jim can line up the catch for R2's tag, but doesn't make the call. PU should already be down the line, so he's there for R2's tag-up into 3B.

If the ball is BU's responsibility, PU goes up 3B line to cover on R2's tag-up. Communication is the same as R1 going to 3B on clean hit.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with yawetag.

BU has the fly ball until PU calls him off. BU has the plays on the bases until PU calls him off.

In the OP, PU should call the BU off, unless PU's on the line (and PU should communicate that). Just like on "routine singles to left with R1", PU should make his way toward (no to) third, even when there's not much chance of the runner advancing to the base.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
If the ball is hit toward 1B foul line, PU says "I'm on the line, Jim!" This tells Jim that PU has both the catch AND that PU can't take R2's tag into 3B.

If the ball is hit toward 3B foul line, PU says "I've got the ball, Jim!" Jim can line up the catch for R2's tag, but doesn't make the call. PU should already be down the line, so he's there for R2's tag-up into 3B.
It sounds good on paper, but the entire mechanic falls apart if your partner's name isn't "Jim".
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It sounds good on paper, but the entire mechanic falls apart if your partner's name isn't "Jim".
OP didn't say it, but this is in the 7th inning. At this point, my partner's used to being called Jim. In fact, I called him that between each half-inning, when I came to him between 1B and 2B to chat (what's he doing way out there anyway?).
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Ok,

I have always been taught (and therefore teach) that as a PU when the R2/R1 situation arises that I give the signal that dictates that I (as PU) will be watching the ball inflight as I move out from behind the plate.

When there is a catch and tag-up I will always have the play at third THIS allows the BU to stay in the working area and be ready for a play on R1 advancing from 1st to 2nd.

Frankly, I have never seen this taught anyway else.

T
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
I have always been taught (and therefore teach) that as a PU when the R2/R1 situation arises that I give the signal that dictates that I (as PU) will be watching the ball inflight as I move out from behind the plate.

When there is a catch and tag-up I will always have the play at third THIS allows the BU to stay in the working area and be ready for a play on R1 advancing from 1st to 2nd.

Frankly, I have never seen this taught anyway else.

T
That's where I'm coming from. This is what I've been taught and always done. Question is: Is there ever a situation with R1 & R2 less than 2 out and a fly ball to the "Big V" where PU takes a tagging R2 into third?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUmp16 View Post
That's where I'm coming from. This is what I've been taught and always done. Question is: Is there ever a situation with R1 & R2 less than 2 out and a fly ball to the "Big V" where PU takes a tagging R2 into third?
On all such plays you describe (R1,R2, <2 outs, fly to the V), PU has R2 going into third. That's what most of us are saying.

The only exceptions are:
1) trouble ball to right
2) PU trips going down to third
3) PU has a brain cramp
4) PU is lazy
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Just to add a point...

As PU, remember that once you read no play at 3rd (ball and runner) to retreat home. Stay in foul ground until you read a play, at which point you go to cutout. The retreat, ideally, would be when the ball is secured in the infield, however on a deep fly to the RF/CF gap you may have to retreat home as the ball is being thrown in. Should R2 break his leg 2 steps from 3rd, he's still your runner technically, although if you're already retreating because of no play, you can hand responsibility back to BU by saying "Going home Jim". Your partner should then split his difference as much as possible.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
On all such plays you describe (R1,R2, <2 outs, fly to the V), PU has R2 going into third. That's what most of us are saying.

The only exceptions are:
1) trouble ball to right
2) PU trips going down to third
3) PU has a brain cramp
4) PU is lazy
That's definitive enough for me