The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've been about 50/50 this season.

50 percent of the time I use one wrong mechanic and the other 50 I use a different, equally wrong mechanic.

On a PC foul that is not a blarge (elbow, swim move, push-off), I usually come right to the head.

On a blarge coming right up the gut where there could be a double-whistle, I come up with the fist first, but then seem to always follow up both the right hand behind the head and a left fist. I also have this nasty habit of firmly saying "that way." I'll punish myself by not letting myself work rec ball this Sunday

On the subject of blarges, I had four of them in the first quarter of the game the other night. All four were called PC fouls -- two by me and two by my partner. Didn't set well with one coach, but the worst he could come up with is that he'd never seen so many.

He doesn't have me working his game. I call a lot of PC fouls, mainly because I know what the phrase "legal guarding position" means.

Rich
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

4 blarges in one quarter. You are asking to catch it from both coaches. One blarge should have been enough for both of you. I have never had more than one blarge in a game.

I do hope you talked to your partner at halftime. You are showing the entire gym that you aren't on the same page and are now in for a long night. Hope you had patient coaches.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
4 blarges in one quarter. You are asking to catch it from both coaches. One blarge should have been enough for both of you.
Coach, although my initial reaction was the same as yours, I have to think that he means only that there were four bang-bang block/charge plays and all four of them were called PC fouls. At least, I'm really hoping that's what he means. . .
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Upon further review, I would agree. He is using blarge to indicate a close block/charge call. In that case, no prob.

Rich - don't insult your judgment by calling them blarges. The official who has it in their primary is, and should be, best positioned to make that call. If both of you have perfect view of that call, somebody isn't doing their job. If it's in your area and you call a charge, you better have seen it as well or better than your partner because you both shouldn't be fixated on the ball and the immediate play around the ball. There are 10 players out there, somebody has the on-ball stuff and somebody better see more than that. And if you do have the best view, then the partner's view is just an opinion, and should be considered to be much less informed then your call.

As for 4 charging calls in the first quarter, that would be a rare one. May cause you to reflect a bit as to whether or not you were seeing the play, especially if you think each patner saw each call diffrerently. But if you think you saw it well and made the right calls, it's a series of good calls that led to a statistical anomaly. Strange happenings are not necessarily wrong, but they can be used as a bit of an eye opener or to sharpen your concentration, especially if the partners don't agree on the calls that led to the anomaly.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As for 4 charging calls in the first quarter, that would be a rare one.
Coach, at the start of the season I had three charge calls in the span of two minutes. In every one, the charge was taken by the same defender and committed by the same player.
All of them were easy calls because the defender was in position for 4 or 5 steps by the dribbler. After the third one, the coach told his player; "Two more stupid plays like that and you save me a lot of frustration. Maybe you should think about a pull up jumper, or changing directions when you drive the lane. You're makeing it too easy on the officials!"

He could have left off sentence number three, but at least he agreed with my calls.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'll tell my players stuff like that all the time - maybe not in those words precisely, but along the lines of "you are begging the ref to make that call." And he is right - if you are going to make contact, at least do it in ambiguous circumstances so you have aq 50-50 chance. Don't crash into someone who has been camped so long that the official couldn't possibly miss it.

BTW - I'll take it that you agree with the full gist of my previous statement - 3 charges in a row is rare, but rare is not necessarily wrong.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

When administering the T, where do you stand? It's kind of hard to see if the shooter steps on the line when you are low. Has anyone ever had a free throw violation shooting a T?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 10:03pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
When administering the T, where do you stand? It's kind of hard to see if the shooter steps on the line when you are low. Has anyone ever had a free throw violation shooting a T?
Trail should be assisting. He doesn't just hold hands with the non-shooters.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
On the subject of blarges, I had four of them in the first quarter of the game the other night. All four were called PC fouls -- two by me and two by my partner. Didn't set well with one coach, but the worst he could come up with is that he'd never seen so many.
Last game of the season last year, a sectional playoff game, we had NINE player control fouls in the game.

It was amazing to actually see two teams that knew how to play defense with there feet and not their hands!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If both of you have perfect view of that call, somebody isn't doing their job.
If a quick drive to the basket is coming from the trail's primary, he should stay with it all the way because the lead, who was previously looking off ball, may not have seen the entire play. Both referees would have a perfect view of the call, and both would be doing their jobs.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks - that clarifies things a bit. Since trail is staying with the drive:

1) Is he watching ball and not defense, or trying to follow ball and referee the defense as well (that off ball defender stepping in to take the charge)?

2) When the contact happens, whose call is it at that point?
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Whoops. That is how I meant it, Hawks Coach. I haven't had a true blarge in 15 years (I almost did when my partner (as trail in 2-whistle) jumped up and called a PC foul when I was coming up with a fist and intending to call a block -- it was a bad call on his part in my opinion, but I left him take it). I shouldn't have said it hasn't happened.

The only requirement for a defender is that he establishes and maintains legal guarding position.

I'm tired of hearing grief when I call player-control fouls because the defender "was still moving."

Many officials take the easy way out and call those blocks when in fact the defensive team is being punished for playing good basketball.

Two of the PC fouls in the game I mentioned were classic "take the charge" plays that were no brainers. One was a "lead with the arm" dribbler right in front of me (and the bench). The fourth was the one where judgment was necessary since both defender and driver were moving. I just thought that the defender did his job and the driver initiated the contact.

Rich
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Iron your socks as well.
Is this your promo??
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks - that clarifies things a bit. Since trail is staying with the drive:

1) Is he watching ball and not defense, or trying to follow ball and referee the defense as well (that off ball defender stepping in to take the charge)?
To see the whole play (which is why this particular play doesn't just revert soley to the lead) you gotta be watching the dribbler and refereeing the defense. You get some help in this regard because the play is moving away from you and your field of view becomes wider as he gets closer to the basket. Of course, your distance from the call increases as well. Tradeoffs.

2) When the contact happens, whose call is it at that point?

This is going to be the trail's call (again, back to the trail seeing the whole play). However, it's in the lead's primary and so the lead really needs to be aware of this one. If there are two whistles, the lead needs to give this one to the trail. It comes back to a good pre-game, good mechanics, and awareness.

That's my take on it. I'd love to hear what other people have to say on this.
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Rich
Sounds like both of you did a great job (as did the defense). This goes back to that thread about one call influencing the next - and why you need to call the play you see in the way that you see it. Everybody tends to think of block charge as a 50-50 proposition, when the true ratio depends on the skill of the offense and defense involved and the plays that happen to occur that day - a lot of variation there, in reality.