The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Red face

I'm kinda bored can anyone tell me a funny officiating story, I love hearing these!!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

I've got one. I worked a game last night and neither of the coaches said anything to me or my partner. Fans never said boo either. And the kids didn't either.

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Good one!!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

OK. I'm a lurker from the softball board and we don't have much going on now so here's an outdoor story for you. I was doing the bases in a state men's tourny. Ball hit to deep left field and batter/runner takes a big turn at 2nd. SS who went out to relay the throw in decides to throw behind the batter who dives back to 2nd. I'm in a set position to watch the tag that the 2nd baseman pulled down just a little too soon. I get up the next day to a Sunday paper with a photo captioned "Ump calls runner safe while players look on" You can see the ball in the air and a look of horror on both players because they've seen where that ball bounced off of me and at that point I was wondering why there isn't any pain, oh wait, there it is, mommy. Jim
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

See...now that funny. I haven't been doing this long enough to have any funny stories. So come on with them.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I do remember a varsity game where the home team had not won a game, ever! They were up by 6 with just seconds left. There was a whistle and a violation on the home just before the buzzer sounded. Well the home team thinks they had just won their first game and all the players come off the bench to celebrate. Well the officials end up calling a technical foul on every player who left the bench (obviously the wrong call) and the visiting team was awarded 10 free throws and went on to win by 1 point. The sports page loved this game!!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Girls JV game last night. Loose ball and 2 girls "fight" for the ball that ends with me making a jump ball call. Coach is wanting a foul and says to me "Isn't that a foul?" he said it several times and I look back at him and say- NO. The girls on the bench behind him start laughing and he sits down and is quite the rest of the game.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

If you are looking for some funny stuff, do a search on Davism, or Davisms.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Boys JV, two years ago. Packed house waiting for the Varsity game. JV game is in OT. The home team is undefeated. This is my first game of this caliper. Home down by a duece. Home team has the ball, with seconds remaining. Visitors foul down in the corner away from the benches and right in front of the crowd. There is now three tenths of a second remaining on the clock and the home team has the ball in the corner crowd side. I get set and was about to administer the throw in when my partner blows his whistle as loud as possible and starts waving his arms and pointing to the scoreboard. He is actually yelling, "It's over, It's over!" I ran over to him and clarified the rule that with three tenths of a second a player cannot take a shot, but can tap the ball in. I thought we were going to die that night!!!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Butt pats...

I never understood this whole male butt patting thing during games. However, it doesn't bother me at all.
Male players have occasionally given me a tap on the posterior, which I think basically means that they believe I am "one of the guys". I take this as a compliment and never react when this happens.
In a boy's varsity game several years ago, after I called a foul on what a player thought was a clean block, he said "oohhh" and went to pat me, but he held up short of contact, and spun himself hard almost losing his balance.
I grabbed his hand a little, and ask him to line up for the FT.(with wide grin on face)
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Here's one from last night. Coach on the team that is behind by 20 in second half "how come they get an "and one" when they get fouls and we don't"? I of course without batting an eye "because they are making their shots when they get fouled!"
A little background on this game. The home team beat a really good team last week. I asked the coach when I came to the gym if it was a misprint in the paper. He assured me that they beat them. I had officiated a game for the visiting team earlier so in the back of my mind I thought the home team should win by about 30. I am still thinking that it was a misprint in the paper because the home team lost by 25. I guess that is why we play the games.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

It was funny to ME anyways. . .

JV game, first of the season this year. A1 is at the line and misses the second free throw. B1 catches the rebound and stands there for a second as everyone clears out and heads downcourt. Then he takes two steps back, that's right, out of bounds, and inbounds the ball to his teammate! Naturally I am the only one who sees this in the whole gym. I blow the whistle and he looks at me like I'm crazy. I said, "I don't know whether to call you for out of bounds or traveling!" He still doesn't know what I'm talking about, and I had to stop smiling long enough to explain to his coach why I was giving the ball to the other team. I don't know if he ever really believed me, but that's what the kid did!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 09:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerblue
I've got one. I worked a game last night and neither of the coaches said anything to me or my partner. Fans never said boo either. And the kids didn't either.

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.

That's not a funny story, that is a fairy tale.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Butt pats...

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
I never understood this whole male butt patting thing during games. However, it doesn't bother me at all.
Male players have occasionally given me a tap on the posterior, which I think basically means that they believe I am "one of the guys". I take this as a compliment and never react when this happens...
I spent some time working an adult women's rec league, got my butt patted more times than a...well, I got my butt patted a lot.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Another Rec league story (YMCA):

5th grade boys, ball rebounds long (over the head of the players under the basket). A tall, lanky player attempts to secure the rebound, but as a result of a modest push from the closest defender he stumbles out of the lane (several steps) carrying the ball.

(Tweet), Fist goes up, crowd quiets as it awaits the call.

Note: Crowd is parents and grandparents of players very well-behaved, never a problem in this league.

A teammate of the "stumbler", shortest kid on the court and a great hustler (in both senses), slightly excited, petitions: “Excuse me sir!”

I paused, before reporting the foul, to give him my full attention. He continues, “He was pushed. You shouldn’t call that a travel!”

I crack a big smile and in a playful manner state (audible to all in the gym), “Young man, do you have aspirations to become a lawyer?”

Many in the crowd get a good chuckle. The “challenging” player gets closer to me and whispers, “What's a aspiration?”

I softly responded, “You take two of them and the problems should go away.” He gave me a puzzled look, then a smile and moved on.

I report the foul and the game goes on.