The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Post Season Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7567-post-season-questions.html)

RookieDude Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:51am

Some of us officials, that are doing post-season, have been sitting around talking about what the evaluators can possibly "ding" us on at the tournaments.

In regards to fouls...one official stated that we should give the closed fist sign before we go to the player control sign. (He is backed up by this in the NFHS signal chart) But, many of us do not give the closed fist first, just right to the hand behind the head and then the direction we are going. (Trying not to close fist the direction like the women's mechanic)
What are some of your opinions on this particular item?

We talked about table side counting, not crossing your body with the directional signal, hand "flick" away from the FT shooter, etc.

Any other "little" items some of you can come up with would be appreciated to allow us to discuss.

Dude

BktBallRef Thu Feb 20, 2003 01:06am

Raising a fist on a player control foul is the proper mechanic. It allows you to make eye contact with a partner if there's a double whistle. It helps avoid the dreaded "blarge." My guess is that there's rarely a "blarge" when both officials raise a fist before giving their preliminary.

canuckrefguy Thu Feb 20, 2003 01:19am

Agree on PC signal....call the foul first, then indicate type. Best reason, as BktBallRef stated is to give that split-second separation on a double whistle.

As far as signals, just keep them clean. Not crossing your body, etc is just a part of that. I've never been one to obsess on the table-side counting issue. As long as its clearly visible and neat, you're fine.

Most important things I believe in playoffs (well, anytime, but especially in the post-season) are clock and table awareness, and a patient whistle.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 20, 2003 01:52am

Make sure you polish your socks.

Tim Roden Thu Feb 20, 2003 02:32am

Iron your socks as well.

RookieDude Thu Feb 20, 2003 03:44am

Here are a few more nit-picky questions:

1) Officials Manual, Pg. 44 275. "During the intermission between quarters...the Referee shall take a position with the ball at the division line on the sideline opposite the table indicating the direction of play with the placement of the ball."

What does "indicating the direction of play with the placement of the ball" mean? Ball on floor in direction of play? Ball in hand in direction of play? (Hard to use hand signal while holding ball in direction of play)

2) Concerning Technical Fouls...Do you switch on a T? Some Officials like to administer the foul shots that called the T, some do not.

3) Concerning the Jump Ball...Officials Manual Pg. 29 213. "The Umpire will go in the direction of the ball."
See Diagram 14 on Pg.28 Officials Manual

C'mon now, we all know the Referee almost ALWAYS stays as Trail, no matter which way the ball goes...don't we? ;)
(Seriously, I have pregamed the correct way before and my partners have looked at me with the "deer in the headlight" gaze.)

What say you on the above?

Dude

Redneck Ref Thu Feb 20, 2003 06:48am

Fist in the air, bird dog, hand behind the head and then the direction we are going? Seems like alot for player control.

mick Thu Feb 20, 2003 07:38am

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude

1) Officials Manual, Pg. 44 275. "During the intermission between quarters...the Referee shall take a position with the ball at the division line on the sideline opposite the table indicating the direction of play with the placement of the ball."

What does "indicating the direction of play with the placement of the ball" mean? Ball on floor in direction of play? Ball in hand in direction of play? (Hard to use hand signal while holding ball in direction of play)

2) Concerning Technical Fouls...Do you switch on a T? Some Officials like to administer the foul shots that called the T, some do not.

3) Concerning the Jump Ball...Officials Manual Pg. 29 213. "The Umpire will go in the direction of the ball."

C'mon now, we all know the Referee almost ALWAYS stays as Trail, no matter which way the ball goes...don't we? ;)
(Seriously, I have pregamed the correct way before and my partners have looked at me with the "deer in the headlight" gaze.)

Dude

1) Facing table; ball on left or right hip.
2) Switch on all fouls; don't consider a "T" as special, consider it as just doing' bidness.
3) Try it; you'll like it. It's a very smooth mechanic.

ChuckElias Thu Feb 20, 2003 08:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
Fist in the air, bird dog, hand behind the head and then the direction we are going? Seems like alot for player control.
No need to bird-dog or point direction on a PC foul. There's only one player in control of the ball, so no need to bird-dog him. Also, since the PC is always on the offense, no need to point, since we're obviously going "that way!"

For many years, I went directly to the PC signal, and didn't use a raised fist. I've come to the conclusion that the avoidance of the blarge is much more important than the instantaneous "sell" of giving the secondary signal immediately. Just my opinion.

Chuck

mick Thu Feb 20, 2003 08:49am

You gotta be thinking TC, now

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
No need to bird-dog or point direction on a PC foul. There's only one player in control of the ball, so no need to bird-dog him. Also, since the PC is always on the offense, no need to point, since we're obviously going "that way!"

For many years, I went directly to the PC signal, and didn't use a raised fist. I've come to the conclusion that the avoidance of the blarge is much more important than the instantaneous "sell" of giving the secondary signal immediately. Just my opinion.

Chuck

NCAA Tourney Ref,
Uh,oh!
I just thought, ... I am not sure that I have bird-dogged all year. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

gsf23 Thu Feb 20, 2003 09:15am

By RookieDude

I think that they officials that like to administer their own T do so to get away from the sideline so they don't have to listen to the coach give him an earful about the call. I know it is not the proper method, so don't jump all over me telling me this is the wrong way. This is just the reason I've been given by the officials that do this.

mick Thu Feb 20, 2003 09:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by gsf23
By RookieDude

I think that they officials that like to administer their own T do so to get away from the sideline so they don't have to listen to the coach give him an earful about the call. I know it is not the proper method, so don't jump all over me telling me this is the wrong way. This is just the reason I've been given by the officials that do this.

Going "Opposite" accomplishes the same thing.

Blackhawk357 Thu Feb 20, 2003 09:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by RookieDude

Dude

1) I agree with mick - facing table, ball on left or right hip.

2) We have the calling official put the ball in play opposite the table.

3) We like to have the umpire follow the ball on long tips, in some cases this means the referee will become the lead.

Just my humble opinion.
Blackhawk

rainmaker Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:22am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

For many years, I went directly...
Chuck --

You are way too inexperienced to use the phrase, "For many years..." which makes your upcoming weekend all the more terrific!!

juulie

rainmaker Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25am

Quote:

Originally posted by gsf23
I think that the officials that like to administer their own T do so to get away from the sideline so they don't have to listen to the coach give him an earful about the call.
Realize, though, that administering the T means that when the ball goes the other way, you'll now be trail AND tableside. When the coach is teetering on the brink, I want to be acroww from the table during the T, and then down on the endline and away from the table when the ball is at the other end.