The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Is there ever a time?

Myself and some other newer refs in our pool get together in the off-season to shoot the breeze, go over rules and think up unusual stuff that we've never seen, but probably will sometime. Last night this question was posed;

Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt? We went through the books and couldn't find anything, but I thought I would pose the question here.

This question arose out of a screw-up a partner and I had in a sophomore game...there was an error in the book (unlisted player), and the coach wanted him in the game, so my partner (the R) assessed the T, and the kid came in. However, neither of us thought to give the coach the seat-belt.

Thanks!!!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stir22 View Post
Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt?

This question arose out of a screw-up a partner and I had in a sophomore game...there was an error in the book (unlisted player), and the coach wanted him in the game, so my partner (the R) assessed the T, and the kid came in. However, neither of us thought to give the coach the seat-belt.
All bench technicals are indirect to the head coach (unless coach is the offender) as the bench is their responsibility.

Team technicals (adding a player, wrong #, etc) just goes toward the team foul count.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Myself and some other newer refs in our pool get together in the off-season to shoot the breeze, go over rules and think up unusual stuff that we've never seen, but probably will sometime. Last night this question was posed;

Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt? We went through the books and couldn't find anything, but I thought I would pose the question here.

Thanks!!!
I don't think the NFHS has the category "bench technical."

You can see the types of Technical fouls where the coach is required (or not) to sit in the "Summary" chart at the end of Rule 10.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

10-4 good buddy, no?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't think the NFHS has the category "bench technical."

You can see the types of Technical fouls where the coach is required (or not) to sit in the "Summary" chart at the end of Rule 10.

aahhh...got it.

/many thanks!!!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Thanks!!!
So where was the screw up?
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Good news is you got it right!
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 12:34pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
10-4 good buddy, no?
Exactly, NFHS 10-4 is entitled "Bench Technical."

That said, stir's sitch falls under 10-1-1, which is a team technical. No seat belts here.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, i guess we ham-handedly got lucky. But, it is definitely a learning experience, as we both thought the coach should get the belt. As an aside, it was the varsity guys who came in at half-time and told us the coach should have been sitting.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 12:49pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
As an aside, it was the varsity guys who came in at half-time and told us the coach should have been sitting.
That will happen (though it shouldn't). I had a coach once ask me why his opponent wasn't sitting after two DOG violations, because he was made to do sit for the same reason in a previous game.