The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is there ever a time? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/75324-there-ever-time.html)

stir22 Fri Jul 22, 2011 08:47am

Is there ever a time?

Myself and some other newer refs in our pool get together in the off-season to shoot the breeze, go over rules and think up unusual stuff that we've never seen, but probably will sometime. Last night this question was posed;

Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt? We went through the books and couldn't find anything, but I thought I would pose the question here.

This question arose out of a screw-up a partner and I had in a sophomore game...there was an error in the book (unlisted player), and the coach wanted him in the game, so my partner (the R) assessed the T, and the kid came in. However, neither of us thought to give the coach the seat-belt.

Thanks!!!

tref Fri Jul 22, 2011 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 774206)
Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt?

This question arose out of a screw-up a partner and I had in a sophomore game...there was an error in the book (unlisted player), and the coach wanted him in the game, so my partner (the R) assessed the T, and the kid came in. However, neither of us thought to give the coach the seat-belt.

All bench technicals are indirect to the head coach (unless coach is the offender) as the bench is their responsibility.

Team technicals (adding a player, wrong #, etc) just goes toward the team foul count.

bob jenkins Fri Jul 22, 2011 09:12am

Quote:

Myself and some other newer refs in our pool get together in the off-season to shoot the breeze, go over rules and think up unusual stuff that we've never seen, but probably will sometime. Last night this question was posed;

Is there ever a time when a technical foul is assessed to the bench where the head coach wouldn't get the seat-belt? We went through the books and couldn't find anything, but I thought I would pose the question here.

Thanks!!!

I don't think the NFHS has the category "bench technical."

You can see the types of Technical fouls where the coach is required (or not) to sit in the "Summary" chart at the end of Rule 10.

tref Fri Jul 22, 2011 09:16am

10-4 good buddy, no?

stir22 Fri Jul 22, 2011 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 774209)
I don't think the NFHS has the category "bench technical."

You can see the types of Technical fouls where the coach is required (or not) to sit in the "Summary" chart at the end of Rule 10.

aahhh...got it.

/many thanks!!!

Raymond Fri Jul 22, 2011 09:50am

Quote:

Thanks!!!

So where was the screw up?

BLydic Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 774224)

Good news is you got it right!

bainsey Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 774210)
10-4 good buddy, no?

Exactly, NFHS 10-4 is entitled "Bench Technical."

That said, stir's sitch falls under 10-1-1, which is a team technical. No seat belts here.

stir22 Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 774224)

Well, i guess we ham-handedly got lucky. But, it is definitely a learning experience, as we both thought the coach should get the belt. As an aside, it was the varsity guys who came in at half-time and told us the coach should have been sitting.

bainsey Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stir22 (Post 774282)
As an aside, it was the varsity guys who came in at half-time and told us the coach should have been sitting.

That will happen (though it shouldn't). I had a coach once ask me why his opponent wasn't sitting after two DOG violations, because he was made to do sit for the same reason in a previous game.